•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  /

What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

Need a suggestion? What's the best newly published mystery you've read lately? Have any suggestions for other MysteryNet.com viewers?
Please Note: To discuss an author in more depth, go to the Authors Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there. To discuss a genre or theme of mysteries, go to the Genres & Themes Folder and add a discussion if you don't see the one you want already there.

PLEASE remember that not everyone will have read the whole book or know everything about the author that is being discussed. If you MUST discuss crucial plot information that could potentially spoil the ending of a book for someone (e.g., if somebody in the book dies), PLEASE WARN other community members by noting it at the top of your posting.

Are you looking for that next great book or author? You will want to check out our all new Book Reviews to see the latest offerings. Please take a moment to comment on the review and tell us if it sounds interesting to you.

PUBLISHERS are invited to submit copies for review by contacting notifymysterynet@google.com

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (261 previous messages)
Mary Thompson - 07:16am Dec 3, 1998 PST(#262 of 1002)

Joanne: Try "G is for Gumshoe." It was my favorite.

Aybeesee - 02:46am Dec 4, 1998 PST(#263 of 1002)
Life is fool of holes...OooOoOOoooOoOooOOooooOOo

P Marlowe #214 / #233 : Thanks for recommending Poison Tree! After reading the discussion here my mind was so filled with authors/book/characters that I can't remember anyone at all. So while I was browsing the shelf, the luminescence of "Poison Tree" struck me...being the only book I recalled from reading this forum.

Was half way thru it when I check out the reviews from amazon. You can't imagine how bad some people says about this book. I then continue the book without much enthusiasm..sigh..

Luckily now that I found out what you actually thought of that book.... it does revive the way I read the book. Thanks! Silly me to like or dislike about based on what others think, uh?

Frankly I found this book entertaining, the characters, the poems and of course the sexy parts. BTW is there any other mystery books that have some sex in it? Too bad Poison Tree is Tony Strong first novel.

If I were to read Pat Cornwell books, which should I read first? from this forum I know "Honey something something" and "Cause of Death"(was it?) is not a good buy, I am right?

Kenneth Clarke - 08:58pm Dec 4, 1998 PST(#264 of 1002)

You might want to try any of Carolyn G. Hart's books. Her Henrie O series of mysteries (Murder in Lovers Lane, Mint Julep Murder, or Murder in Fair Haven) are terrific! Of course her "Death On Demand" series with sleuths Annie and Max Darling, are very good as well.

If you're into mystery books by celebritys, you might want to check out some Steve Allen (The Murder Game, etc.):)

Kenneth Clarke - 09:10pm Dec 4, 1998 PST(#265 of 1002)

Try any of Jessica Fletcher's books. You won't be disappointed!!! They're all terrific. The only problems you'll have is stopping at one book and selecting just one as your favorite.

P Marlowe - 11:28am Dec 5, 1998 PST(#266 of 1002)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Aybeesee - If a book such as The Poison Tree" generates so much controvery (pro/con) it must have some POV that causes discussion, which is always good. My personal "take" on it (and the author) is that he is trying to say something about the appetites of the modern dectective fiction reader. The title is from a poem by William Blake, one of England's strangest visionary yet brilliant poets. Blake's works are featured throughout and the main character instructs a class in Dectective Fiction. Perhaps the author is trying to say that when Raymond Chandler wrote in his essay The Fine Art of Murder" that "murder has been taken out of the drawing rooms and put back on the mean streets where it belongs," he didn't mean that literally. Philip Marlowe has often been compared to a "Knight," implying that his searches rely on finding the "truth" as much as the culprit. Still the book is too weird for me and definitely over the top.

Julie Stepanian - 12:28pm Dec 7, 1998 PST(#267 of 1002)

Hey, mystery lovers. Anyone frequent the Victoria Holt section of the library?

I have been reading these books for years, and I doth love them!

There are at least 20 novels she has written. Her books usually feature a young heroine back in the Victorian days, between the 1800's and the early 1900's. It is period-oriented and this makes it definately interesting. Her heroines read you their story, as if out of a diary, getting you caught in the thrilling and suspenseful story line. Many of them start their story in their teens, and you can read about their "coming out" balls, dances, as well as the guys that try to get these gals. It can be very romantic.

In addition, her novels portray key events of the old British history. Some of these have to do with:

Hong Kong Australia India Germany (in it's "Prussia" days) Egypt France Welsh Country

Read about a young English lady who's life quickly becomes entangled with the culture of China and the mystery of a rare artifact called the "Kuan Yin"...in The House of a Thousand Lanterns (I just finished it) I give it a 9/10

My favorite one is the story of a young bride who finds herself in the middle of a deadly curse/mystery on her new rich husband's family, which involves her as a "Bride of Pendorric" and the curse that goes with it...in The Bride of Pendorric

Other titles worthy of note are: The Judas Kiss (my other favorite) The Shadow of the Lynx

The Night of the Seventh Moon (an intriguing story about what happens when one very lucky woman gets married to a nobleman--and what happens when she wakes up!)

The India Fan The Captive (this is a famous one of hers) The Shivering Sands (my first of her novels) The Snare of Serpents

The list goes on, and there are too many to list. All of you teenage girls out there, if you appreciate or wonder what it is like to be a teenage woman growing up in Victorian England and want to be a part of a romantic, suspenseful novel of delightful mystery...do yourself a favor and read a book of hers.

GET STARTED: You might start off with the book THE BRIDE OF PENDORRIC !

BettyMilton - 05:56am Dec 8, 1998 PST(#268 of 1002)

anyone looking for a new writer? I found Annie Griffins first book,A Very Eligible Corpse,gave it a try,what a treat!!!Good story and laugh out loud funny. I can't wait for her next book.Try this one !!!!!!!!!!

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (734 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / What (or Who) Should I Read Next?

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: