Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / Genres and Themes  / Genres  / All About Cozies  /

Cozy

Also known as the English country house or manor house mystery, this genre is generally acknowledged as the classic style of mystery writing. Prominent in England during the 1920s and '30s, this style focused on "members of a closed group, often in a country house or village, who became suspects in a generally bloodless and neat murder solved by a great-detective kind of investigator." The stories almost always involved solving some form of puzzle, and invariably, observation, a keen understanding of human nature, and a heavy reliance on gossip were indispensable tools used in the solving of the crime. This style of writing proved to be so popular that The Detection Club was founded in 1928 to outline the Rules of Fair Play, which members needed to follow in order to create proper mystery stories.

To read more about cozy characters and authors, like Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers, go to The History of the Mystery.
To Buy Cozy Books

MysteryNet.com Books, in association with Amazon.com, offers book picks by this author and many more.

• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (145 previous messages)
Marsha Francis - 10:03pm Aug 9, 2000 PST(#146 of 155)

Jenny, if you like senior sleuths, try the Southern Sisters mysteries by Anne George, the Club series by Graham Landrum, the Angela Benbow and Caledonia Wingate series by Corinne Holt Sawyer and the Mrs. Mallory series by Hazel Holt (although Mrs. M. is a little younger than the others). My favorite clerical series is the one about Sister Joan, by Veronica Black.

Pauline Fossill - 04:28pm Nov 22, 2000 PST(#147 of 155)

there don't seem to be any recent messages-just wondered what everyone was reading lately. I've just discovered the southern sisters by Anne George. I also like Carolyn Hart, Elizabeth Peters, Jane Langton, Sarah Cauldwell, Elizabeth George, and Robert Barnard to name a few. Has anyone read Leslie Meier-I love her books. Also the Aunt Dimity series.

I saw an old posting on this site about a Cozy and Crean Tea Tour. I would love to do something like that. Dose anyone have any info? Hopefully, we can get this site going again! Happy reading.

Koli Goode - 07:29pm Jan 3, 2001 PST(#148 of 155)
Guest User

Has everybody forgotten Elizabeth Daly? (Agatha Christie's favorite American mystery writer) I have only been able to find six of her cozies with Henry Gammadge, but they are great!

daffodil - 08:01am Apr 22, 2001 PST(#149 of 155)

ME TOO (((((((KAT)))))))

Brian Kavanagh - 01:21am Feb 2, 2002 PST(#150 of 155)

After years of reading mainly cozy mysteries, I've had my first book published. If anyone cares to check it out the title is CAPABLE OF MURDER and is available from www.jacobytebooks.com where you can read a sample chapter. If anyone does read it I'd be pleased to hear from you. With thanks and happy reading to all. My email address is kavbee@bigpond.com

Tina Czarnota - 02:22am Nov 23, 2002 PST(#151 of 155)
Author of Country Inn, Dead & Breakfast and Deadwaiter

Country Inn, Dead & Breakfast, the novel,

Business is dying at Katrina's Tudor Grove Inn when on opening day, a guest is murdered. Between dealing with an ornery, future dad-in-law, chasing ghouls & matching wits with a relentless, sexy reporter who wishes to destroy the inn for her own purposes, Katrina tries to help solve the mystery & also liberate her beau's hopelesssly dominated mother.

With the inn's future at stake, Katrina tries to assist the no-nonsense Lt. Klonski in his investigation unaware that she is one of his prime suspects.

Curl up in your favorite chair to enjoy this humorous, autumn cozy. Hot toddies, cocoa or tea & scones are a welcomed option. Enjoy!

Tina Czarnota - 12:52pm Nov 26, 2002 PST(#152 of 155)

Anyone curling up with a great cozy you can recommend? Something autumn-like or holiday themed would be great.

Thanks & Enjoy!

Fran Hinkel - 07:04am May 24, 2003 PST(#153 of 155)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

You can't beat Agatha Christie for a good cozy read - even if you have to re-read an old one! I like the Miss Marple books the best.

Karla Olson - 06:23am Dec 26, 2006 PST(#154 of 155)

I'm working on a book promotions committee with author Kate Collins on her flower shop mystery series. It's a cute mystery series with four books published so far and the fifth will be released in March. If you're looking for a good series to start check out Kate Collins! For more information you can check out her website at, http://www.katecollinsbooks.com/

Tina Czarnota - 09:32pm Aug 31, 2008 PST(#155 of 155)

My latest humorous cozy, Deadwaiter has recently released.

When walls talk, it can be murder.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / Genres and Themes  / Genres  / All About Cozies  / Cozy

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: