Nancy Drew Books | Nancy Drew Games | Nancy Drew Auctions | Knowing Nancy Drew and Carolyn Keene | Discuss Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew Games Buy Nancy Drew Games
Support this website: Buy your games through our affiliation with Amazon. Browse Nancy Drew Games
Nancy Drew Books Buy Nancy Drew Books
Support this website: Buy your books through our affiliation with Amazon. Browse Nancy Drew Books

[F] Nancy Drew Grownups Discussions  / Changes to Nancy Drew  /

Originals vs. Today

How does the first Nancy Drew mystery compare with the most recently published book?

Share your thoughts-- post a message below.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (3288 previous messages)
Green Hornet - 08:31am Jul 27, 2009 PST(#3289 of 3299)
Oh, the huge manatee!

Yes, "turn turtle" means "flip over".

"Bowlder" has got to be a typo.

"Police hospital" is something I have no clue about.

TappingHeels - 05:39pm Jul 27, 2009 PST(#3290 of 3299)
The mystery picture's in a mess. The cops admit the case looks black. Just when the crook starts to confess --- rattle-rattle-rattle --- POPCORN SACK!

I doubt BOWLDER is a typo: if you check the dictionary it is a variant spelling of BOULDER. And back in the 1930s when this book was written people referred to receiving hospitals where casualties were taken as police hospitals.

NewFan - 06:39am Jul 28, 2009 PST(#3291 of 3299)

Neat! Thanks Green Hornet & TappingHeals.

mysteryK - 09:40am Jul 30, 2009 PST(#3292 of 3299)
d(^-^)b . . . . . . . . . . . . music is life . . . . . yes, i am aware that i am a major dork

I haven't read the originals, just the yellow-back books, the paper back ones, the files, and girl detective.

NewFan, I go to fanfiction.net and search through the hardy boys/nancy drew until i see an interesting one.

Green Hornet - 04:22pm Jul 30, 2009 PST(#3293 of 3299)
Oh, the huge manatee!

mysteryK I wrote a Nancy Drew story for fanfiction.net where I teamed her up with a DC superheroine. I "MSTed" it here, but Lucky Star decided there were too many cross-overs in it and took it down.

I write on mystery.net under the name "Kid Zatanna" if you want to check it out.

No.1FaN - 06:03pm Aug 2, 2009 PST(#3294 of 3299)
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- President John Quincy Adams

Is fanfiction.net a cool site, GH? If it is worth trying out, maybe I'll join it, too! :)

Green Hornet - 04:52pm Aug 3, 2009 PST(#3295 of 3299)
Oh, the huge manatee!

It's a pretty big site. I covers a lot of fiction, from Harry Potter to Bewitched (The one with the TV witch) and several comicbooks and movies in between.

However, it's kind of shy on solo Nancy Drew storys, they are mostly team-ups with the Hardy Boys.

NewFan - 05:29am Aug 7, 2009 PST(#3296 of 3299)

Thanks mysteryK, I'll check it out. I'm writing a story now that's semi-real and semi-fiction about myself and Nancy Drew shows up in the story.

Green Hornet - 03:58pm Aug 7, 2009 PST(#3297 of 3299)
Oh, the huge manatee!

AGGGH! I was re=reading the posts and I saw a mistake I made! I wrote that I write on "mystery.net" as "Kid Zatanna", but that was wrong! THIS site is "mystery.net" and I write as "Green Hornet"! (No duh!)

I ment that I write on fanfiction.net under the name "Kid Zatanna".

Elly Girl - 01:44pm Dec 10, 2009 PST(#3298 of 3299)

I do prefer the older Nancy Drew books. In the older ones, she's a nice teenage girl who wants to help people by solving their mystery. She's put together, helpful and is actually friends with Chief McGinnis. I like how she's just an average teen doing what she loves. In the new ones, she's sloppy, forgetful and she doesn't seem to kind. I don't care for Bess or George in the new ones either. George is sort of stuck up and all Bess can think about is being gorgeous. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just like the old a characters better.)

*candyapple* - 05:40am May 19, 2012 PST(#3299 of 3299)
"I like a good detective story, but they begin in the wrong place! They begin with the murder. But the murder is the end. The story begins long before that." -Mr.Treves (Agatha Christy: Towards Zero)

Elly Girl I totally agree. I haven't read any of the newest comic book-like Nancy Drew "books," but I've read many of the paperback and I definitely like the original Nancy Drew characters better.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Nancy Drew Grownups Discussions  / Changes to Nancy Drew  / Originals vs. Today