[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Edgar Allan Poe  /

Poe's Marriage

Edgar Allan Poe Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%

In 1836, Poe married his 13-year-old cousin, Virginia Clemm, and from then on was famously attached to both her and his aunt/mother-in-law, Maria Clemm, who often looked after Poe during his periodic illnesses. Virginia died in 1847 of tuberculosis, and many of Poe's works thereafter are dedicated to her.

After his wife's death, Poe's drinking and unsteady temperament worsened. Poe died a scant two years after Virginia.

What's your opinion? How did Poe's marriage affect his work? Share your thoughts here-- post a message below!

For more about Poe, read MysteryNet's profile of Edgar Allan Poe and the full-length version of "The Murders in the Rue Morgue".

• Okay, I've got a question for you E... by Lotus Flower - Jul 29, 98 (#1 of 17)
  • 13, his cousin Virginia ... by - Jul 31, 98 (#2 of 17)
  • Jerry Lee Lewis marries his 13-year-old cousin... by Brigid O'Shaugnessy - Mar 3, 99 (#3 of 17)
  • actully poes first wife virgina was his 1st ... by Abby morris - Jan 21, 00 (#4 of 17)
  • Poe was almost 30 when he married 13-yr old... by Kim Porter - Sep 28, 00 (#5 of 17)
  • Edgar Allen Poe did marry his 13 year old cousin,... by Linda Kaye Crouch - May 9, 01 (#6 of 17)
  • how many times was he married?.. by c. senn - Aug 13, 02 (#7 of 17)
  • WEll she did die... by poison wolf - Oct 23, 02 (#8 of 17)
  • think he only married once. by poison wolf - Oct 23, 02 (#9 of 17)
  • Who Was Poe's Fieance?? by Brandy Clinch - Oct 29, 02 (#10 of 17)
  • she killed him indirectly by hello goodbye - Dec 17, 02 (#11 of 17)
  • I know this is late, but back in that time, it was... by Caramel - Jul 17, 03 (#12 of 17)
  • Anyone knowing who Lenore is? by Seda - Oct 21, 03 (#13 of 17)
  • poe is a sick freak who marries there 13 year old... by taysia - May 17, 06 (#14 of 17)
  • um, ok i dk who his fiance was but i agree with... by yvonne porras - Nov 15, 07 (#15 of 17)
  • My opinion @ E.A.Poe is that he was a... by Katrina Ingram - Jan 21, 09 (#16 of 17)
  • Poe's father either died or deserted his family in... by Fran Hinkel - Jul 10, 09 (#17 of 17)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Edgar Allan Poe  / Poe's Marriage