[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / Genres and Themes  / Genres  /

Ask a Question: Genres, Themes, Locations

Do you have a question concerning genres, themes, etc? Post your question here and have other community members try to answer.

First question:

Is there a genre or subgenre of mystery books that feature a club or group of sleuths, amateur or professional, solving mysteries? If so, what are the CLASSICS in this subgenre, what are the must-reads? For the lone hardboiled detective we have Phillip Marlowe; for the duo of detective and assistant we have Sherlock Holmes and Watson (a genre that is very self-consciously followed by novels like NAME OF THE ROSE and THE ALIENIST). What about stories where there is a club or group solving cases? I would appreciate any help.

• I can think of a couple of cozy-type series that... by Marsha Francis - Jun 2, 00 (#1 of 28)
  • I am looking for the name of a book -- it involves... by Robert Lowe - Aug 25, 00 (#2 of 28)
  • Back in the 80s I watched The Name of the Rose on... by Mark Boston - Nov 7, 00 (#3 of 28)
  • Can anyone recommend a courtroom situation mystery... by kaye gordon - Nov 10, 00 (#4 of 28)
  • Well there's almost all of John Grisham's books... by Katarina Rundgren - Nov 20, 00 (#5 of 28)
  • To the reader who is looking for books that... by J F NORRIS - Dec 3, 00 (#6 of 28)
  • Any suggestions for mysteries involving a Latina... by Veronica A Paiz - Jan 3, 01 (#7 of 28)
  • kaye gordon - there are some very good books with... by P Marlowe - Mar 10, 01 (#8 of 28)
  • "the famous five" and "the secret seven" are... by Persha - Mar 14, 01 (#9 of 28)
  • Veronica, I have not read these, but here is a... by Fran Hinkel - Mar 16, 01 (#10 of 28)
  • Re: genre about a club or group of sleuths who... by Bob Schneider - Jul 3, 01 (#11 of 28)
  • Bob; Do you happen to know how many he wrote?.. by daffodil - Jul 30, 01 (#12 of 28)
  • Veronica, I have read some Hispanic/Latina... by Ruiz Irene - Nov 30, 01 (#13 of 28)
  • One interesting older novel, almost forgotten now,... by Eliza C. - Apr 30, 02 (#14 of 28)
  • What do you think are the main differences between... by Ron Asher - Aug 8, 02 (#15 of 28)
  • Good question, Ron... by Fran Hinkel - Aug 15, 02 (#16 of 28)
  • Ron, Minette Walters has written several of the... by P Marlowe - Sep 14, 02 (#17 of 28)
  • I feel that the English mystery is more... by Joy Gold - Nov 2, 02 (#18 of 28)
  • I cut my mystery teeth on Agatha - started reading... by Fran Hinkel - May 24, 03 (#19 of 28)
  • If anyone has a writing, mystery related question,... by Tina Czarnota - Jul 17, 03 (#20 of 28)
  • any suggestions on non-politicallly correct... by James jamison - Nov 10, 03 (#21 of 28)
  • I have been trying to find a particular short... by Rochelle jones - Feb 10, 04 (#22 of 28)
  • Hi All!.. by stephen ellen - Aug 24, 06 (#23 of 28)
  • Welcome Stephen!.. by Joy Gold - Aug 24, 06 (#24 of 28)
  • Anybody read any good novels that mix crime... by Crow - Sep 1, 07 (#25 of 28)
  • I just stumbled upon this area and I finished... by Beautiful_1 - Jan 8, 08 (#26 of 28)
  • I once had a website that listed mystery authors,... by Kristi Garzelloni - Feb 16, 13 (#27 of 28)
  • I think I recall a website just like what you... by Fran Hinkel - Sep 7, 15 (#28 of 28)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / Genres and Themes  / Genres  / Ask a Question: Genres, Themes, Locations