[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Mysteries By Members  / Solve-it-Yourself and Puzzle Mysteries  /

Diamonds in the night (by Alex Dent)

Alex Dent - 08:12am Oct 3, 1997 PST

The roofs of the houses in Harklett glistened in the moonlight as a light drizzle covered them in a thin film of water. It was a pretty sight to those artistically inclined but for those of a practical nature or with a mission it was just an inconvenience. The diamonds, too, sparkled and the masked thief reflected as he quickly skimmed along the rooftops. A much nicer shine, the thief thought, not a common sparkle like the rain but an expensive sparkle. The masked thief continued quietly, lost in his thoughts and as oblivious to the world below as it was to the thief's presence.

Detective de Mont threw the morning's paper across the room in disgust. The headline 'IMPOSSIBLE THIEF STEALS DANISH DIAMOND' glared up at her from the other side of the room. She ignored it - Christina de Mont was very angry. She possibly not the stereotypical police detective, although, of course, in this modern age of equality it would be very impolite to notice it, but few detectives would have quite the taste for the 18 carrot gold earrings that she habitually wore or the exquisite dresses she would wear to the annual policeman's ball. It was also true that few detectives could call the chief superintendent 'uncle' but her intelligence and charm still made her a good investigator.

She was very angry with her uncle. This was not as unfair as it might first seem because her uncle was very angry with her, Chief Superintendent Charles de Mont was not used to being told that his assignments stank and threatened that he would never again be welcome at his underlings house for tea and crumpets. This was why had hadn't given in, it takes intelligent people far longer then stupid people to realise that it is very difficult to bully your boss.

Fuming, she pulled on her jacket and concentrated on calming down. There was no way now that she could avoid the diamond case and, if she drove to the scene in this state she would only get another ticket - and it appeared the 'uncle' might not be so willing to forget that at the moment. She nodded to Sergeant Crow that he too should gather his things, and then she purposefully left the building.

Sergeant John Crow was her one luxury. A twenty three year old man, he had been working with her for just over six months now. They got along fine: he respected her abilities, as all men should in this age of political correctness, and she admired his well formed body in the way that only women could get away with. This did not mean that Sergeant Crow was stupid, he had found vital clues in the few cases that they had worked on, but he was at very placid - he never sought any attention and always down played his role in any given situation. It was an office rumour that the Chief Superintendent had only assigned him to work with his favourite niece to act as body-armour, a statement that Christina would have exploded at should she have heard it, but John just smiled and continued his work whenever it was mentioned.

"This looks to be an interesting case, Christina" he said when he had caught up with her. Christina favoured him with a particularly withering glance and carried on walking.

"Or maybe not." John continued after a pause, "I am glad, however, that it means that we will be going out to Harklett village."

Christina looked at him quizzically and raised a single eyebrow.

"The science of deduction failing you today Holmes?" quipped John.

"No Watson, I'm just pondering the great mysteries of life like The Mary Celeste, the Loch Ness Monster and how you ever made it to sergeant."

"I've got a relative in the upper echelons of police command, Chris." he teased.

Christina just stuck her tongue out at him and then hastily checked around to see if anyone else had seen her. The couple walked on in silence for a few minutes.

"Well, Why?" said Christina eventually.

-cont.-

• "Why what?" said John trying to hide the huge grin... by Alex Dent - Jun 26, 98 (#1 of 17)
  • Christina crossed the room and examined the... by Alex Dent - Jun 26, 98 (#2 of 17)
  • DEAR ALL, Thank you for reading this far... by Alex Dent - Jun 26, 98 (#3 of 17)
  • Alex: I really enjoyed this little mystery... by Fran Hinkel - Jun 26, 98 (#4 of 17)
  • i'm with fran!.. by Robert Nelson - Jun 26, 98 (#5 of 17)
  • I'd be interested in seeing more of your stuff,... by Dina Hagler - Jun 26, 98 (#6 of 17)
  • Alex, I thought this was great... by Spooky Lady - Dec 17, 98 (#7 of 17)
  • Thanks Spooky, This story has been inactive for... by Alex Dent - Dec 17, 98 (#8 of 17)
  • PS... by Alex Dent - Dec 18, 98 (#9 of 17)
  • Already printed it off - will let you know my... by Spooky Lady - Dec 18, 98 (#10 of 17)
  • :-) Interesting the way you temper statements... by State O. Grace - Sep 15, 99 (#11 of 17)
  • Oh my word, a post - there hasn't been anyone in... by Alex Dent - Sep 15, 99 (#12 of 17)
  • I know... by State O. Grace - Sep 15, 99 (#13 of 17)
  • Just read your story... by Amy :o) - Aug 3, 00 (#14 of 17)
  • I enjoyed your story very much!.. by - Jan 2, 01 (#15 of 17)
  • Very nicely written... by Matrix Jacobi - May 17, 01 (#16 of 17)
  • Thanks everyone... by Wolfman - May 20, 01 (#17 of 17)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Mysteries By Members  / Solve-it-Yourself and Puzzle Mysteries  / Diamonds in the night (by Alex Dent)