[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / General Information For Getting Published  /

Persistence Pays Off - Success Stories

Jim Moore - 09:12pm Apr 17, 1998 PDT

When I retired from government service I decided to try my hand at writing books. From time to time I'd do an article for some magazine covering something I knew about and some of them were published. But my main goal -- getting a book published -- took longer. For nearly five years I worked simultaneously -- switching back and forth as the mood struck me -- on two books: a nonfiction true-crime book about the US Treasury agents who investigate federal firearms and bomb cases; and a political thriller about international gunrunners. True, these were subject I knew about (I'm a retired ATF agent) but there's nothing in either book a persistent writer couldn't have learned by doing research. Then, for another 3 years I tried to get one of them published. I wasted nearly 2 years trusting literary agents who claimed they'd do their best. Perhaps they did -- all I know is, they failed. But I kept at it, contacting some publishers myself and still searching for a good agent. The payoff to this little saga is my success and it's a little strange. An excellent agent (so-judged from her performance) sold my nonfiction ("Very Special Agents") to Pocket Books; and I sold my suspense thriller myself to a small press here in Maine. The strange coincidence is that, even though each of the books went their separate ways, after all those years I received both contracts the same month. So I have three words for writers who really want to get published: Don't give up!

• Jim, Congradulations on your success... by Cindy Love - Apr 20, 98 (#1 of 16)
  • Jim, Thanks for the encouragement in... by Johnny Barnes - Jun 14, 98 (#2 of 16)
  • Jim I'm very curious... by Fran . Hinkel - Aug 4, 98 (#3 of 16)
  • Jim I'm trying to figure out if when I query to a... by Dale Miller - Jan 22, 99 (#4 of 16)
  • Jim, congratulations!.. by Susan Israel - Jun 18, 99 (#5 of 16)
  • Susan, It seems my first message did not go... by Steven Torres - Jun 27, 99 (#6 of 16)
  • Congratulations Jim... by Maxine Chamberlain - Jul 10, 99 (#7 of 16)
  • Probably one of the most helpful factors in... by schuyler kaufman - Jul 15, 99 (#8 of 16)
  • I've been writing since I was a child... by Donna Nowak - Aug 19, 99 (#9 of 16)
  • Donna, Have you heard of The International... by Steven Torres - Aug 19, 99 (#10 of 16)
  • As a writer in search of an agent, it was good to... by Christine Godin - Jan 1, 00 (#11 of 16)
  • How would you like to read out how the ... by claire kirch - Mar 3, 00 (#12 of 16)
  • Very good information posted above... by Bob Schneider - Jul 10, 01 (#13 of 16)
  • Way to go Jim... by John Poindexter - Jan 3, 02 (#14 of 16)
  • I've been writing since 1996 and have been through... by Dennis Griffin - Aug 27, 05 (#15 of 16)
  • I began writing fiction in 1996 and self-published... by Dennis Griffin - Aug 28, 05 (#16 of 16)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / General Information For Getting Published  / Persistence Pays Off - Success Stories