[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Ross MacDonald

Ross MacDonald Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
Ross MacDonald (Dec. 13, 1915 - July 11, 1983), was the pseudonym of writer Kenneth Millar, married to fellow author Margaret Millar. His Lew Archer series, which includes The Moving Target (made into the movie Harper starring Paul Newman), The Barbarous Coast, The Drowning Pool and The Far Side of a Dollar, stands as one of the pivotal achievements of modern crime fiction.

Macdonald explores the mean streets of California much as Chandler did before him. The pervasive sense of disillusionment, clear-eyed realism, and uncommonly fine prose have made Macdonald a regular on both best-seller and college reading lists.

Please discuss his work below.

• Originally posted by S... by The Watcher - Mar 11, 99 (#1 of 19)
  • I love Chandler, but I always felt that... by Brigid O'Shaugnessy - Apr 9, 99 (#2 of 19)
  • I wanted to alert all Ross Macdonald fans to a... by Jeff Pierce - Apr 22, 99 (#3 of 19)
  • Macdonald was a master... by Bob S. - Jun 10, 99 (#4 of 19)
  • That's what so interesting about these characters... by Corina Viramontes - Jun 18, 99 (#5 of 19)
  • Forget Marlowe, Spade, etc... by k wilson - Jul 11, 99 (#6 of 19)
  • Big fan of Ross Macdonald-- and this is kind of... by Greg Marsh - Jul 16, 99 (#7 of 19)
  • Answer to Greg M.. by Cyndi Rawlins - Jul 21, 99 (#8 of 19)
  • i'm currently reading a bio of ross macdonald.. by jbmarco - Oct 2, 99 (#9 of 19)
  • Well, I'm sorry to have come to this page so... by Bob Banks - Feb 3, 00 (#10 of 19)
  • Bob, I was influenced by your enthusiasm for Ross... by Jackie C. - Feb 8, 01 (#11 of 19)
  • Thanks Jackie... by Bob Banks - Feb 20, 01 (#12 of 19)
  • It's typical...I join a dead discussion!.. by Jackie C. - Feb 20, 01 (#13 of 19)
  • Just want to mention that Crippen & Landru has... by Bob Schneider - Jul 19, 01 (#14 of 19)
  • Thanks Bob for the tip - I've checked this title... by Jackie C - Sep 2, 01 (#15 of 19)
  • This title is also available through our sponsor,... by Fran Hinkel - Oct 4, 01 (#16 of 19)
  • Donald Westlake was once asked what he thought... by Rick Cornfeld - Jun 7, 03 (#17 of 19)
  • I found this by Richard Moore and maybe it is the... by Fran Hinkel - Jul 19, 03 (#18 of 19)
  • Hello Fran & all: My memory is a bit fuzzy... by Chris Hansen - Oct 18, 09 (#19 of 19)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Ross MacDonald