Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Edgar Allan Poe  /

Short Stories (Mystery)

Edgar Allan Poe Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%

A master of the mystery genre, Edgar Allan Poe was one of the first to create a fictional detective, C. Auguste Dupin, in "The Murders in the Rue Morgue." He would go on to invent, refine and cement many of the standards by which mystery stories are still judged.

From "Rue Morgue," to his other mystery fiction like "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket" and "The Purloined Letter," Poe practiced, invented and polished the key elements of the mystery with a skill that would be imitated and admired for generations.

Discuss Poe's Mystery Short Stories -- post your message below!

For more about Poe, read MysteryNet's profile of Edgar Allan Poe and the full-length version of "The Murders in the Rue Morgue".

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (64 previous messages)
Cooter James - 09:12am Dec 3, 2004 PST(#65 of 74)

He wrote good stroies but he used complicated writing and he was hard to understand

Fille_corbeau - 12:56am Jan 18, 2005 PST(#66 of 74)

It's pointless. The guy is dead. I can use his characters all I want. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just for parody's sake.^_^

Sarah Simon - 02:36pm Mar 18, 2005 PST(#67 of 74)

I am currently starting a research paper for my English class. We have to choose two stories with common themes, I would like to research two Edgar Allan Poe short stories, but am having trouble finding two with a common theme. If anyone know's of any, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could e-mail me the titles of these short stories at hahhahaha_222@yahoo.com (yes this is a real screen name also, lol). Well thank you for your time and I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some answers.

Sincerely,

Sarah

laura bell - 06:39pm Apr 12, 2005 PST(#68 of 74)

edgers stories are amazing. How could anyone relate to the dramatic mysteries and sad poetry? not alot of people understand the importance of these stories and poetry. such talent as his is very hard to find. his stories have inspired many people to write poetry and stories. you could write too if you want. edger did because he liked to write and if you do, just go ahead and write about whatever you want to write. thank you for reading my small letter. laura age:12

Amanda Copeland - 06:26am Apr 15, 2005 PST(#69 of 74)

needy have some internet resources on authors opinions of edgar allen poe - any information u guys could give me? I already have <http://www.poedecoder.com> - any other suggestions would be great!

dupinholms - 03:18am Oct 11, 2005 PST(#70 of 74)

sterted reading poe recently(a month to be pricise),but have read most of his best works by now(Tell-tale heart,cask of amontill..,MS found in bottle,black cat,fall of usher house etc etc.Beleive me i have never been so high.i am also a big fan of sherlock and have read all books on him(4+56).

Fille_corbeau - 06:16am Nov 8, 2005 PST(#71 of 74)

Hey, Poe fans out there, check this one out: http://www.eapoe.org/works/tales/morguec.htm I was kinda intrigued when I found this, you know, an 1843 version of his original Rue Morgue........well, just see for yourself^^

Anna Zhang - 11:12am Dec 18, 2006 PST(#72 of 74)

I have a question about Cask of Amontillado : Why did Montresor thrust the torch into the niche after entombing Fortunato in?

Lee Silver - 08:25am Mar 5, 2007 PST(#73 of 74)
Ex-Bookworm

I realize that I'm answering several months after your post, Zhang. I can think of only one reason for the protagonist to act in the way you described. And, truly, I believe logic dictates that the environment contradicts Poe's purpose in a way that overarches it in importance.

Poe's reason: Montresor's real intention was to equate, if not transcend, his suffering to that that he would render Fortunato. His goal was not mere to present his former friend with anguish, but to do it invincibly. Therefore, he allowed the torch to light the enclosure (until it should fade entirely and deal the cave with darkness) so that Fortunato would, after having reached a state of utter sobriety, be enabled to look upon the perfection of his entombment and thus despair further.

Argument against it: The torch was taken along to allow the men to see their way through the catacombs. Without it, they would be immediately plunged into invariable and absolute darkness. So as soon as Montresor had allowed the light to fall by the other side of the wall, and had sealed up his final stone, he too may have been incapable of exiting the caverns. In addition, in the state of light he had permitted himself, it would have been impossible to erect the copse of bones above the wall. I assume the protagonist escapes, in order to state that the bones were not disturbed for 50 years. But it does not add up.

Megan Edgington - 09:10pm Aug 30, 2009 PST(#74 of 74)

Everytime I read Masque of the red death I shiver with joy and tiny tiny bit of fear. When oh right now my black cat Ms. Kitty aka spoiled cat is laying near my laptop purring. Any way in my high school days did my homework mostly at school at night I wrote a long very long story in Edgers honor called "The Kiss" in the story my bad guy is a new Monster called A "Voto" named John Von Lexington. He's the only of his kind is like a vampire but takes your breath/ oxygen instead of blood so it's not messy, He only goes for girls age 13 to 25 he seems charming and concern when you look in his eyes. So I haven't cleaned it up yet so yeagh --__ it was long. so glad to be here ^^

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Edgar Allan Poe  / Short Stories (Mystery)

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: