Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Edgar Allan Poe  /

Poe's Childhood, Alcoholism, and Troubled Life

Edgar Allan Poe Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%

Temperamental, dramatic, multi-talented, Edgar Allan Poe had a personality that grew from his tempestuous past. Orphaned at an early age and eventually disowned by his foster family, Edgar Allan Poe combined an unsteady temperament with a constant quest for stability and artistic expression.

How did Poe's childhood influence his work? What factored into his troubled life? Share your thoughts with other Community members-- post a message below!

For more about Poe, read MysteryNet's profile of Edgar Allan Poe and the full-length version of "The Murders in the Rue Morgue".

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (40 previous messages)
michelle izon - 07:49pm Oct 17, 1999 PST(#41 of 50)

There is a building on 3rd street in new york city, very cool, poe used to live there, it was a fraternity house psi ep i think when i used to hang out there. Great parties, and the basement had a stained glass ceiling that was the roof of the original building. They built right on top of it. It had wonderful courtyard, and i liked to imagine him sitting there writing, with the city sounds muffled by the high walls of the garden. The guys that lived in the house would throw a party in his honor every year, a hotel party, different drink each room ( i liked the my ties) I think he lived in one of the upstairs rooms and i would walk from room to room, trying to pick up his vibes or aura ( you know what I mean?) It's easy to read someone's stories or poetry, but i also like to imagine their life and how they pulled those stories from it.

Dustin Allen - 11:55am Mar 17, 2000 PST(#42 of 50)

Edgar Allen poe is the bomb.He was before his own time. his best poem to me is The City Under The Sea.

Reema Ahmed - 05:41pm Apr 5, 2000 PST(#43 of 50)

hey, I'm doing a BIG paper on Edgar Allan Poe and so i need some information on him...I basically have a lot..but can any of u give me some facts about how he wrote the way he did and some examples tooo?? and also, why did the Allan family adopt him? Is it only cause Frances Allan wanted a child and so she just randomly picked him? or were hte families friends in some way?? anyways, so please let me know soon..cause the paper is due this monday....please??? okay thanx buhbye just email me at pakiprncs@hotmail.com..thanx!!!

kerrice mapes - 07:45pm Nov 7, 2000 PST(#44 of 50)

so im doing an essay about poe, and i am trying to persuade that the reason why in some of his short stories he walled up his victims (black cat etc.) was b/c he "walled up" his fellings about the deaths that took place around him...if anyone can think of anything, or a quote, thought, site etc. that would help me strength this argument that would be much appriciated, please e-mail me thankyou k

P Marlowe - 10:26am Jun 23, 2002 PST(#45 of 50)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Poe is one of Americaís greatest Men of Letters, and his personal demons rival those of Emil Zola, Dostoevsky or Samuel Coleridge. He was born poor, raised by rich relatives, who never let him forget how poor he was.

He was fragile sensitive, in a world that had no understanding and certainly no acceptance for such qualities in a man.

He lost the people whom he profoundly loved to a terrible disease - TB, which ran rampant in the great cities of the east at the time.

He probably drank what he could and definitely smoked Opium (the drug of choice for literary figures of that time).

All that said, he is one of America's greatest authors. He set precedents in writing creating the short story just to name one; writing an Essay about short story writing which is still used in College to today.

His poems - are some of the most beautiful, combining words and speech to create sound in the readerís mindís eye. "The Fall of the House Usher" is unparalleled as a short story - it is perfect.

Sometime we ask what is greatness? If, after almost 200 years, people are still reading, discussing and admiring your literary work, that is as good a definition of great as there is in my book.

Col. Robert Morris - 02:35pm Mar 25, 2003 PST(#46 of 50)

I was a child and she was a child, In this kingdom by the sea; But we loved with a love that was more than love- I and my Annabel Lee;

This has to be my favorite. It reachs you deep inside. Poe Forever...

yvonne porras - 06:59am Nov 15, 2007 PST(#47 of 50)

hi sarah cannon, I am also 13 and i've been reading poe's poetry long before I should have been. He is a very deprived mad man but if he weren't then his works would be useless i also wright poety and he is one if my biggest inspirations

sarahbeth brown - 06:50am Jun 15, 2010 PST(#48 of 50)

hi my name is sarahbeth and im about to be 15 and ive been reading his poetry in school and at home and love it all and Well i think Edgar Allan Poe was a great poet and autor but he got all his ideas from his childhood. But thats just my opinion and i think thats true..

sarahbeth brown - 06:52am Jun 15, 2010 PST(#49 of 50)

even know his writings may be disturbing i still like them

sarahbeth brown - 06:52am Jun 15, 2010 PST(#50 of 50)

and now im doing a report on him

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Edgar Allan Poe  / Poe's Childhood, Alcoholism, and Troubled Life

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: