Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Edgar Allan Poe  /

How Did Poe Really Die?

Edgar Allan Poe Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%

Edgar Allan Poe's life was cut tragically short at the age of 40 in 1849. Was it alcoholism that killed Edgar Allan Poe, as commonly believed, or rabies, as new evidence suggests-- or something else? Join in the debate here-- post a message below!

For more about Poe, read MysteryNet's profile of Edgar Allan Poe and the full-length version of "The Murders in the Rue Morgue".

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (43 previous messages)
#1 rebel - 02:44pm Oct 25, 2005 PST(#44 of 53)

he died from a drug problem , but the problem is i dont know wat drug it was. i really need to know because i have a report due soon

david stanch - 05:20pm Oct 31, 2006 PST(#45 of 53)

I believe that poe died one night after he had a little bit much to drink. I think that he may have also taked a few too many pills. I know that he was crazy, and nobody really knows how he died.

RisingStars - 03:22pm Sep 2, 2007 PST(#46 of 53)

Wasn't and isn't it a proven fact that Edgar Alan Poe had Schizophrenia, was a severe alcoholic, and manic depressed because every one around him, especially his love, died of that disease that was a pandemic back in the 1800's? I can't remember what it was/is called... I think it's called Euphoria, that's just sticking in my head right now... don't yell at me if I'm wrong. I don't even think that's a disease.

So I think Edgar Alan Poe was tormented by the fact the his love died and that he was Schizophrenic, so he started drinking and the alcohol finally got to his liver and kidneys.

I was watching this one show, I think it was Unsolved Mysteries or something like that, and they went to his house where he supposedly lived, wrote his stories and poems, and died in, and that to this day, when it was filmed, Poe still haunts the house end everything because of his "untimely death." But then again, I didn't pay that much attention to the show...

Plus there are so many reasons that people believe why and how Poe died so it's just too hard to believe any of them.

I went to my 11th grade English teacher to ask him what 'forgotten-lore' was and he was all like "Ah, Edgar Alan Poe. You know he was a very demented --" and I cut him off and said "Because of his schizophrenia, yeah I know." So... Yeah. But... I donno, part of me wants to believe he was murdered and part of me wants to believe that he just died of depression and old age...

Jewelie Williams - 12:02pm Feb 28, 2008 PST(#47 of 53)

I have recently began studying the life and death of Edgar Allen Poe. There is controversy surrounding his untimely death at the young age of only 40 years. After reading the many reports of his condition prior to his death, something occured to me. Edgar Allen Poe's physical ailments are somewhat consistent with Multiple Sclerosis... I believe it is at least somewhat possible that Mr. Poe suffered from MS, and possibly died as a result of complications from it. Any suggestions out there to substantiate or discredit this theory?

Kimberly Henderson - 03:49am May 29, 2008 PST(#48 of 53)

I think Poe killed himself. Look back on his trobled life and his dark as crap poems and short stories. I mean come on... how can someone so dark and depressing NOT kill themselves!!!

JOHN JOESPH - 08:21am Oct 17, 2008 PST(#49 of 53)

I BELIEVE THAT HE COMITTED SUICIDE BECAUSE IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT HE HAD A HARD AND TROUBLESOME LIFE, SO IT IS VERY MUCH POSSIBLE THAT HE COMITTED SUICIDE!

JOHN JOESPH - 08:26am Oct 17, 2008 PST(#50 of 53)

AND I ALSO BELIEVE THAT WE SHOULDNT LOOK AT HOW HE DIED, BUT HOW HE LIVED. HE INFLUENCED MANY POETS AND ARTIST TO LIVE THE LIFE OF AN ARTIST AND HE WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED FOR THAT.

Elena A. - 08:23pm Feb 11, 2009 PST(#51 of 53)

Wel as told he died from alcohol poisoning.. it clearly states in each of his bios that he had a problem with alcohol n a suicide thing.. he was a great writer but the death of his wife made him drink to the point where he drank himself to death.

Fran Hinkel - 03:10am Jul 10, 2009 PST(#52 of 53)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

There is an account here - a study of his mysteriious death, that any serious Poe fan should read.

http://www.eapoe.org/geninfo/poedeath.htm

After reading this, I came up with my own theory: I believe he may well have suffered from pancreatitis. According to accounts cited in the above article, Poe was near death several times and was nursed back to a near healthy state. If you suffer pancreatitis due to alcohol consumption, you will get very sick. It is possible he had several attacks. Finally, if you do not abstain from alcohol entirely, pancreatitis (especially in those days) can kill you. What intrigued me though, was the account that Poe's clothes had been changed and he was found nearly in rags.

Jim Musgrave - 08:44am Jun 10, 2013 PST(#53 of 53)

I wrote an historical mystery called "Forevermore" that postulates that Poe was murdered.

http://www.contempinstruct.com/Forevermore

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Edgar Allan Poe  / How Did Poe Really Die?

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: