Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Agatha Christie  / Informational Discussions  /

Issues and themes through Christie's work

Hey all! I am currently in my final year at uni and one of my courses is crime and detective fiction. I need some help thinking of a area/theme/issue to write my Christie assessed essay on, and the books that are relevent to that theme etc. I've read about 6 or 7 Christie's (loved them all) but i need some help from people with a wider knowledge than I have. Thankyou!!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (19 previous messages)
Mark B - 12:23pm Nov 16, 2004 PST(#20 of 30)

I have just re-read Ordeal by Innocence. This has been one of my favorites in the past but the theme of adopted children that is so prominent here is starting to bother me. Christie sure seemed to have disapproved either of adoption or at least of women who have given up their children for adoption. She says several time, with respect to the children Rachel Argyle adopted, "She's not their real mother" or "she's not my real mother" in very negative terms. I noticed this also in Mrs. McGinty's dead with reference to both Robin Upward and Maureen Summerhayes. I never remember in any of the Christie biographies any event that would cause her to have these strong negative feelings about adoption. I wonder why?

DeeGee - 12:25pm Nov 16, 2004 PST(#21 of 30)
A birth certificate shows you were born. A death certificate shows you have died. A photo album shows you have lived.

Funnily enough I seem to remember something similar about this in something else that I've read by AC, the title escapes me now..

But I'm pretty sure it was Poirot..

Missy Sweesy - 11:49am Nov 21, 2004 PST(#22 of 30)
Life has a way of finding you, no matter how artistic a sneak you are.---Keeper proverb---Thief: The Dark Project.

Perhaps it was just the time period she grew up in.

DeeGee - 10:49am Nov 22, 2004 PST(#23 of 30)
A birth certificate shows you were born. A death certificate shows you have died. A photo album shows you have lived.

Just read Mousetrap..

That doesn't look on adoption and fostering in a good way either.

Missy Sweesy - 03:04pm Nov 26, 2004 PST(#24 of 30)
Life has a way of finding you, no matter how artistic a sneak you are.---Keeper proverb---Thief: The Dark Project.

I forgot about that one...you're right, it's very negative.

Mark B - 07:57am Nov 29, 2004 PST(#25 of 30)

I just finished The Mirror Crack'd (again) and there are a lot of comments about Marina Gregg adopting three children and then either getting tired of them or not caring about them after she found out she was going to have a baby herself. Another not-so-good adoption situation.

john ray mendoza - 03:20pm Jan 12, 2005 PST(#26 of 30)

this one book i read was the best book i ever read it's called "little Grey cells" that was just the best.

Mark B - 11:50am Jan 13, 2005 PST(#27 of 30)

I think this may be a title of a non-English language book. John Ray, can you tell us something about the book that may help us identify it?

Karen Cooney - 08:27pm Feb 18, 2005 PST(#28 of 30)

For the person that goes to school at UNI - If that is in Iowa. I can tell you that in Muscatine there will be a production of Mousetrap. I will be Miss Casewell. I came across this site as I am researching for the role. Looking forward to it. Just found out tonight and have not read the script before or seen the play but have read other books so I enjoy her work and will look forward to the play. It will be presented April 29, 30, May 1.

Missy Sweesy - 08:00pm Feb 26, 2005 PST(#29 of 30)

Welcome Karen! So nice to see a new name, and break a leg :-)

viki Migliorini - 01:15pm Feb 27, 2005 PST(#30 of 30)

For the person that goes to school in UNI. I direct you to Ms. Christie's novel, Passenger to Frankfort. In this, Chrisie's best (my opinion) you will find her exploration of the root of youth and student rebellion which had been occuring during the time of this writing. She also brings religious traditional ideas into play, explors this and one concludes that traditional values stabalize a society. It's less action and more psychological mystery which is a thrill to the reader because it is such a deviatin from her norm. Enjoy, Viki

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Agatha Christie  / Informational Discussions  / Issues and themes through Christie's work

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: