•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  /

Changes after hitting the best seller lists

I would like to know if there is anyone else who feels cheated when an author (the two most recent that come to my mind are Grimes and P.D. James), writes a bunch of books with the same characters who you the reader come to think of as friends and then the author finally hits the best seller list and their books become way too long and serious. That is not to say the books aren't good they just lose their original flavor. Yes I understand from a writer's point of view the need to do this but I don't think it is fair to the reader base they built on the way up.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (16 previous messages)
Julie Kelley - 01:12am Dec 19, 1998 PST(#17 of 28)

I believe Road to Gandolfo was one of Ludlams earlier books and was originally published under a pseudonym because his publishers at the time did not think his "public" would understand such a departure. I didn't care for it either, on the other hand my father who is a staunch Ludlam fan loved it and Road to Omaha, go figure! I know what you mean about his books getting too long he spins a good plot but got a little too fancy a few times.

Emily Wood - 09:01am Feb 1, 1999 PST(#18 of 28)

This may be a tad late, but a friend in the writing field told me that Cornwell's Hornet's Nest is actually an old book that she couldn't get published before she became famous-which may well be why the book is not up to par. There's a term for this, but I forgot it!

P Marlowe - 07:34pm Feb 3, 1999 PST(#19 of 28)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Greed comes to mind.

dcook - 03:57am May 31, 1999 PST(#20 of 28)

Talk about feeling cheated. I am not sure yet, but "Biting the Moon" by Grimes...well the first chapter is a let-down, but I do love her Jury books. Who is dependable anymore?

Marinelle Carter - 09:19am Jun 28, 1999 PST(#21 of 28)

Four authors come to mind when you talk about changing characters when you are in the middle of a successful and generally good series--Sara Paretsky and "Ghost Country", Faye Kellerman's "Moon Music", Abigail Padgess "Blue" and Paul Levine's latest. I sometimes wish that advance notices of new books would contain warnings or at least indicate to those of us who devour books, that this is a change in direction for this author. At least I've started putting most new hardback releases on reserve at the library so the most I'm out is 50 cents if the author lays an egg!

Norma McBeath - 11:08pm Jun 24, 2000 PST(#22 of 28)

I have found that some writers continue past the time when they need to change their approch to a story. This is when I serch out a new writer to enjoy.

Diana Gotsch - 05:58am Jun 30, 2000 PST(#23 of 28)

Another example is James Patterson. His last few have not been as good as the earlier ones. I think that some authors get a best seller and then just keep repeating the book that made them a success. they are afraid to change anything for fear that they will not do as well.

Stan - 07:11am Sep 23, 2002 PST(#24 of 28)

Any thoughts on Tony Hillerman and his work?

CHRIS SMILEY - 11:34am Oct 11, 2002 PST(#25 of 28)

Hi everyone, let me begin be saying I just found this site so I'm not sure if anyone will respone to my post. However, I agree, it seem the author goes to great pain to develop chatacters, till the reader starts to believe they're real. Then, the author decides that they're not being challrnged creatively and decides to take thier writing in a new direction. Great, this leads the reader out in the cold, sicne the reader has come to expect a certain sytle of writing when reading the authors books. Why can the author, if wanting to strech thier talents. simply create new characters for a diferent seriers of book instead of changind existing characters drasticly? Chri smiley

Ann Louise - 09:42am Feb 23, 2003 PST(#26 of 28)

What bothers me more is when authors hit it big and then are marketed as "mainstream fiction" instead of as mystery authors, as if being a genre author is something to be ashamed of. This also happens to romance authors like Catherine Coulter and Judith McNaught who are writing more suspense-themed books tinged with romance.

Julie Zoller - 09:40pm Sep 22, 2003 PST(#27 of 28)

I absolutely hated Hornet's Nest and think Kathy Reichs is definitely imitating Cornwell. I am reading Reichs' latest, Grave Secrets, and just can't seem to get into it.

I detested O is for Outlaw by Sue Grafton. I jsut didn't hink it had the goods like her other books did and I don't like the by J.A. Jance where shehas Joanna Bradey and J.P. Beaumont teamed up. WAY too contrived...as is the Quebec/N. Carolina bit with Reichs.

jerri crapo - 10:53pm Oct 27, 2003 PST(#28 of 28)

I also just stumbled on this 'conversation'. it is gratifying to see that others also think that Grafton, Paretsky,Cornwall, James and Minette Walters have become disappointing...There have been others that I wanted to throw across the room when I considered their cost..I too will rely on library...maybe being a 'mystery writer'is embarrassing to them and they strive for serious literature..too bad...Jerri

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / Changes after hitting the best seller lists

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: