•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / True Crime  / Opinion and Debate  /

The use of DNA for identification purposes.

I believe that DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) will be to 21st century detectives what finger printers were to 20th century detectives. DNA will identify -- and eliminate -- all kinds of suspects in rape and murder cases. Unfortunately, the tests are very very expensive -- around $2,000 per test. Should the state perform these tests as a matter of course. What do you think/

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (28 previous messages)
Fran Hinkel - 12:49pm Oct 11, 2000 PST(#29 of 41)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

Hi Deborah, well, I don't know that I would use the word manipulating, but I have addressed your question where you asked it previously in one of these discussions.

Marilyn Dickey - 08:12pm Oct 11, 2000 PST(#30 of 41)
This Too Shall Pass

You were (as usual) right on target Fran lol

Deborah "Debbe" Ryan - 05:38am Oct 12, 2000 PST(#31 of 41)

Fran, I got the message. What I meant was (as I think I mentioned before) was I doing something wrong??? You gave a good answer in the Vince Foster section. I'm still learning a lot about the computer. Thanks for the tip.

william Pratt - 08:16am Oct 20, 2000 PST(#32 of 41)

From today's NYTIMES--there have now been 76 exonerations of wrongly imprisoned individuals due solely to DNA--Texas prosecutors have now agreed to review over 400 cases where DNA may play a role in determining their guilt or innocence

Rob Lewis - 07:02pm Oct 20, 2000 PST(#33 of 41)
ICQ#31475045

I'm wondering, since we have the technology should we require DNA evidence to seek the death penalty? Just thinking out loud.

william Pratt - 05:35am Oct 22, 2000 PST(#34 of 41)

Rob,I think where it applies,DNA testing should be mandatory in capital cases--but it doesn't always apply--what if OJ used a high-powered rifle and the gun was never found?--what about multiple murderers who freely confess?--should they be exempt from the death penalty?-I think not

Rob Lewis - 02:54pm Oct 22, 2000 PST(#35 of 41)
ICQ#31475045

Good point, William. I agree and consider my public wonderings answered.

Deborah "Debbe" Ryan - 08:42am Oct 23, 2000 PST(#36 of 41)

I think where there is biological evidence (blood, urine, semen, mucuous or other bodily secretions) in either a rape case or capitol murder DNA matching should be automatic. Now the question is, would a suspect's rights be violated? Can someone who is arrested be forced to take a DNA test that would prove he/she committed the crime?

william Pratt - 10:11am Oct 23, 2000 PST(#37 of 41)

Debbe,I agree with your first sentence--it should be automatic,and I don't feel their rights are violated if they are forced to take the test--

Rob Lewis - 01:16pm Oct 23, 2000 PST(#38 of 41)
ICQ#31475045

In fact, their rights are not violated. THe DNA evidence can be obtained with a search warrant just like any other evidence. I think the point is that the DNA will not be used for any other purpose than to decide the guilt or innocense of the suspect.

Marilyn Dickey - 06:14pm Oct 27, 2000 PST(#39 of 41)
This Too Shall Pass

That is correct Rob. DNA testing works to prove either innocence or guilt so a suspect might feel his/her rights are being violated if the test isn't done.

Rob Lewis - 09:30pm Oct 31, 2000 PST(#40 of 41)
ICQ#31475045

It's kind of like a fingerprint. You can't refuse to give one if the court issues a search warrant for one. Or blood or tissue samples either for that matter.

P Marlowe - 11:45pm Nov 22, 2000 PST(#41 of 41)
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

Eventually DNA will be taken at birth in this nation. As more and more break throughs in medical science occur affecting or impacting the use of DNA, I'm sure the medical profession be able to make a good argument for taking DNA from every person born. The question of voluntarily giving DNA will at that time become moot.

Of course, that time will be sometime down the road. But like taking the 5th causes people to believe the worst, so does someone's refusal to give DNA. That We the People have become to believe such things and not stand up for the Constitutional rights not to incriminate ourselves if very scary.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / True Crime  / Opinion and Debate  / The use of DNA for identification purposes.

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: