Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Agatha Christie  / Christie Character Portrayals - Big Screen, The Tube and Radio  /

BBC Radio Productions

After much soul thought, I've decided to propose a discussion of the excellent BBC Radio Agatha Christie adaptions. You might argue that they come under the "Other Productions" heading. However, so numerous have they become that I feel it's now time for these sterling shows to have their own page. My own favourites are Murder in Mesopotamia, Murder at the Vicarage and Murder on the Orient Express. Which are yours and why? What do you think of the actors? Do you prefer these portrayals to their screen counterparts? Have you any news of forthcoming productions or releases? I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (62 previous messages)
Jerry Burton - 05:32am Apr 4, 2003 PST(#63 of 75)
No smoke without fire

I think "The Perfect Carer" is also known as "The Perfect Maid", from Miss Marple's Final Cases and Other Stories, while "The Gypsy" is from "The Hound of Death and Other Stories". Never heard of the last one!

Mark B - 06:44am Apr 4, 2003 PST(#64 of 75)

I've not heard of the last one either. Could it be Mr Eastwood's Adventure?

Dewi - 08:37am May 12, 2003 PST(#65 of 75)

Apparently, Death in the Clouds was on last saturday. And I missed it. Did anyone else hear it? Was it good?

Jerry Burton - 12:14pm May 20, 2003 PST(#66 of 75)
No smoke without fire

Oh dear, I missed it too :-( :-( :-(

Dewi - 11:10am Jul 17, 2003 PST(#67 of 75)

Look out for Taken At the Flood, which will be serialised sometime in November.

Jerry Burton - 05:44am Sep 1, 2003 PST(#68 of 75)
No smoke without fire

Sounds good!! :-) :-)

Jerry Burton - 12:43am Oct 13, 2003 PST(#69 of 75)
No smoke without fire

B "Taken at the Flood" starts TODAY on Radio 4 at 11.30 am (GMT). It is a five part serial what will last five weeks!

Dewi - 10:45am Feb 6, 2004 PST(#70 of 75)

I didn't get a chance to listen to it, but I bought it on cassette recently and it's a VERY good adaptation (assuming you liked the book to begin with).

Mark B - 10:03am Feb 9, 2004 PST(#71 of 75)

I have been purchasing a lot of the BBC presentations on cassette as well. They are generally very well done. There is really nothing like this in the USA that I am aware of. National Public Radio (NPR) is the logical place for this, but I don't think they do any serials.

Sara Long - 08:24am Mar 1, 2013 PST(#72 of 75)

I'm reviewing the A.C. titles that were made into audio dramas. Is there a list someplace that tells the date of when the programme was first aired in U.K. ? Thanks.

Rik Shepherd - 04:10pm Mar 2, 2013 PST(#73 of 75)
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise (Margaret Atwood)

Sara, the Wikipedia entry for Miss Marple has a section marked 'radio' which gives the orignial broadcast dates of the Miss Marple adaptations.

Annoyingly, the Poirot entry just lists the titles.

Hope that helps.

Rik Shepherd - 04:13pm Mar 2, 2013 PST(#74 of 75)
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise (Margaret Atwood)

Interestingly - well, maybe - I've just looked again and they didn't record them in the same order that Christie wrote them (neither did the Joan Hickson TV versions).

Rik Shepherd - 04:28pm Mar 5, 2013 PST(#75 of 75)

There's another website : www.radiolistings.co.uk that is trying to list broadcast dates of every speech-based radio programme the BBC produced. It'll take you a little time, but it should include all the Poirots. Best idea might be to find Moffat in the Cast & Crew section - that'd get most of the Poirot shows.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Agatha Christie  / Christie Character Portrayals - Big Screen, The Tube and Radio  / BBC Radio Productions

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: