Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / Genres and Themes  / Locations  /

San Francisco

P Marlowe - 01:04pm Sep 5, 1998 PST
Glenview 7537 - Hollywood

City of Lights, City by the Bay, The Little Apple - San Francisco has been compared to Paris, Sydney and New York. Many many movies have been filmed there as well as TV shows. Not to mention the books with this city as their setting. It has that special quality - unimaginable panorama of mountains, sea and land - dotted with grand bridges, modern skyscrapers and steep winding hills - a modern OZ.

Take notice sometime in films, books and on TV how many people are either from there, going there, have family there or once lived there. It is amazing. I am from there myself as if you couldn't tell.

Rik Shepherd. - 02:38am Jan 24, 1999 PST(#1 of 9)
Never hire a ferret to do a weasel's job

Seems to me that writers who set mysteries in San Francisco/South California actually _like_ the place (I'm thinking of Marcia Muller, Laurie King here), while mysteries set in Los Angeles/North California (eg, Chandler) detest LA. Is this true, or have I just been selective in my reading ?

P Marlowe - 09:42pm Jan 28, 1999 PST(#2 of 9)

Rik Shepherd, as a displaced LA-LA lander, it's true. There has always been a bit of rivalry between LA & San Francisco. The politics is also very different - northern California tends toward Democrats while southern California is staunch Republican. Northern California wins hands down however, for people and scenery.

Rik Shepherd. - 08:24am Jan 31, 1999 PST(#3 of 9)
Never hire a ferret to do a weasel's job

P Marlowe : La-La land - didn't someone (whose name I can't remember) write a series with that in the titles ("In La-La land we trust" ?) ? That writer _really_ hated LA!

The only US citizen who lives in the US that I know to talk to face to face lives in Mendocino: she's waiting for (a) California to split into two States, or (b) South California to fall off into the Pacific...

P Marlowe - 01:07pm Feb 7, 1999 PST(#4 of 9)

Rik, actually there is a book (pretty good if I remember) named Alice in LA-LA Land.

sysop - 03:58pm Feb 9, 1999 PST(#5 of 9)

The series by Robert Campbell includes Alice in La La Land, The Wizard of La-La Land, Sweet La La Land, and In La La Land We Trust.

Jude Mirasola - 07:22am Sep 8, 1999 PST(#6 of 9)

As a displaced San Franciscan and a seriously addicted mystery reader I'm always on the lookout for authors who use SF or Northern Calif settings (besides Grafton, Muller and Pronzini). Also Southwestern settings. Any suggestions?

Dawn Dowdle - 04:59am Sep 9, 1999 PST(#7 of 9)

J.A. Jance has a series set in Az. Karen Kijewski has one set in California.

Katarina Rundgren - 12:20pm Sep 17, 1999 PST(#8 of 9)
A stranger is a friend you have yet to meet

Jude;

Lia Matera writes about Laura Di Palma that works out of the San Fransisco Bay area.

Michael Connelly's series about Harry Bosch mostly takes place in and around LA, as does Jonathan Kellerman's books about Alex Delaware.

Marsha Francis - 08:31pm Sep 17, 1999 PST(#9 of 9)

Jude, check out the Fremont Jones series by Dianne Day - San Francisco at the time of the Great Quake!!

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / Genres and Themes  / Locations  / San Francisco

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: