Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / Genres and Themes  / Locations  /

England Mysteries

Let's get some recommendations for British mysteries...Check out Peter Robinson (Yorkshire), W.J. Burley (Cornwall), Dorothy Simpson (Kent). Please add your recommendations.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (8 previous messages)
Fran Hinkel - 12:58pm Jul 13, 1999 PST(#9 of 20)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

LOL, Kat!

Mikal Johnson - 05:20pm Aug 14, 1999 PST(#10 of 20)

I've been trying to find a book I once read... unfortunately, I don't recall the title or author! It was a mystery in a Medieval setting. The main character was a wealthy man, sort of a rouge. It was part of a series. In this particular one, he's investigating something that had to do with the Templars, and finds the Grail at the end, buried in an abandoned Templar chapel, under the font. Any help would be appreciated.

Nicky Parkin - 08:49am Aug 15, 1999 PST(#11 of 20)

There's a site where you can catch up on the latest from UK authors called Tangled Web (www.twbooks.co.uk) which gives a bit of biographical info about most of the popular writers. Cynthia Harrod-Eagles writes about a policeman called Bill Slider, and they are tightly plotted, and told with a great deal of humour. Beware though! She is also a prolific writer of historical romances, so check you've got a suitably grim sounding title, or you'll get a Regency love story.

Joanna Kalinowski - 07:05am Sep 1, 1999 PST(#12 of 20)

I, too, am obsessed with books; especially British mysteries. I love the Nick Trevelyn mysteries by Susan B. Kelly but have been having trouble getting them here in Florida. I am missing the last one, Death is Sweet. Does anyone else read her, and if so know where I can get the last book in hardcover. Thanks.

Joanna

Sarah Beth Thiers - 09:22pm Sep 24, 1999 PST(#13 of 20)
He was a good little monkey and always very curious....

Thanks everyone for the leads...I will be sure to check them out. This should give me plenty of new material to look into. =)

Godfrey - 04:56pm Oct 29, 1999 PST(#14 of 20)

Joanna

I also have enjoyed Susan B. Kelley's mysteries. However I've only read two of them so far - Time of Hope & Hope against Hope. Are their others?

Mau - 10:44am Jan 13, 2000 PST(#15 of 20)

Two brilliant British writers you should try are Reginald Hill (his two detectives work in Yorkshire) and Peter Dickinson ( a seriously weird, but wonderful, writer) whose books are set all over England.

Godfrey - 06:48am Jan 17, 2000 PST(#16 of 20)

Mau I've read and enjoyed all of Reginald Hill's books (including the ones not starring Daziel and Pascoe). Have you read his latest - "On Beulah Height"? I literally couldn't put the book down (reading well past midnight to finish).

I'll have to look for some books by Dickinson, haven't heard of him before.

lynda shipman - 03:39pm Feb 25, 2003 PST(#17 of 20)

I have just finished Bartholomew Gill's last mystery 'Death in Dublin'. I would love information on any other series set in the Republic of Ireland. any suggestions?

david daly - 01:11pm Jun 4, 2003 PST(#18 of 20)

hey lynda, like you i am in search of mysteries set in the land of erin! i just read Gills' McGarr and the dublin horse show. I found it to be tedious and tiring and confusing. But am willing to give him another try. soooooooooooooo if you hear of any other irish sleuths pass them on to me and i will do same for you. I would prefer stories set in modern day ireland but am game for any time period! happy reading!!

Fran Hinkel - 06:16am Sep 5, 2003 PST(#19 of 20)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

Haunted Ground by Erin Hart:

Cutting turf in the peat bogs of his Ireland farm, Brendan McGann occasionally finds old oak beams, oxcarts or tubs of butter and cheese buried ages ago and forgotten. But he's hardly prepared for the gruesome discovery he makes one pleasant April morning: the perfectly preserved head of a woman. So begins Hart's debut thriller, which follows archeologist Cormac Maguire, maverick local detective Garret Devaney, and Nora Gavin, an American anatomist lecturing at Trinity College Medical School, as they investigate the farmer's grisly finding, which could date back quite far, given that peat bogs can preserve bodies for centuries.

Susan Noakes - 10:25am Mar 9, 2007 PST(#20 of 20)

Can't believe noone has mentioned Dorothy Sayers or PD James. Also Ruth Rendal is a sometimes strange but very literate read. She also has a pen name, I believe its Vine.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / Genres and Themes  / Locations  / England Mysteries

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: