•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Games & Puzzles  / Mystery Parties  /

Creating Mystery Games

This field has a huge audience and sparse pickings. Let's discuss how to create on-line and realtime mystery game web pages and programs. Including such tech areas as graphics, CGI scripting, HTML, publishing, etc.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (26 previous messages)
Pam Gibbins - 10:19pm Dec 25, 2003 PST(#27 of 37)

I want to do a mystery game with my coworkers possibly something like a card game-not too much commotion-about 40 people. I thought about taking pictures of my coworkers as suspects, but I'm having trouble with how to play it while working. How would we guess clues? Any suggestions?

Juanita Rose Violini - 12:53pm Jan 2, 2004 PST(#28 of 37)
www.incrediblealmanac.com

There are lots of ways it could be done. I usually do it with clues pointing the perpetrator having motive, method and opportunity and then the other suspects having clues pointing only to one or two of those elements. Where you place them and for how long depends a lot on your environment and if you are actually setting up a crime scene or having a picture of it or police report or what. You do need to include a crime scene somehow.

A lot of these points (and more) will be covered in my Do It Yourself Mystery Manual - soon to be available on my website.

I'll let everyone know when it's there.

Good luck.

Tracy Kinney - 08:59am Jan 22, 2004 PST(#29 of 37)

I am teaching a Mystery and Suspense class (for the first time and loving it!!!) and wanted to have a "Mystery Game Friday" where we would have a mystery to solve (in about 90 minutes or if we had to make it two class periods, that's okay). I am not sure how to come up with a crime, place clues or anything. Someone please help me and give me some ideas. Thanks!

Juanita Rose Violini - 08:45pm Jan 25, 2004 PST(#30 of 37)

It's a big order and if you had two classes you could have one of your classes write a mystery to be solved by the other.

You just have to pick a mystery that would be interesting for your class to solve - that depends on who your students are and what their interests are - snowboarding, chess playing, speakeasys, hockey, dungeons and dragons, or whatever. This is actually the 'theme' like theme as in setting rather than that great literary device that hold a story together - although it's sort of like that too - and is actually independant of the cluetrail.

The cluetrail, in a nutshell, provides the clues that proves who had the motive, method and opportunity to do the dastardly deed. It's usually murder but it doesn't have to be.

Again - as to who did it - that's just a decision that you make and then you support your story with clues, which can be physical evidence like letters and police reports or verbal evidence like what the characters say or visul evidence if you set up a crime scene or do photos.

rui pereira - 02:35pm Aug 24, 2004 PST(#31 of 37)

I want write a dance-mystery. Imagine some valsa (steps marked at the floor) and everybody must dance every 30m. Anybody as any experience on that?

Juanita Rose Violini - 09:40pm Aug 25, 2004 PST(#32 of 37)

none - but it sounds like an idea with a lot of potential

susan roudebush - 04:36pm Sep 13, 2004 PST(#33 of 37)

I want to create a mystery game for a group of 10 year olds at a birthday party. Ideas?

Juanita Rose Violini - 11:59am Sep 14, 2004 PST(#34 of 37)

HI Susan - how many ten year olds? Something that includes a 'hunt' type activity is usually good because they love to run around. It's good to provide a structure that they can run around inside of ... so to speak. Give them some instructions and then turn them loose. You could make a list of items and then hide the objects around the house or yard for them to find - this is one component of our Gumshoe Detective Agency Mystery for Kids. And of course you can make up a story around the items that you hide to turn it into a mystery.

michael hopkins - 04:01pm Sep 30, 2004 PST(#35 of 37)

First off I just found this site and will continue to visit this site alot. I want to write my own murder mystery game to play at my halloween party with friends. This party will be for adults and will be around 20 people. If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it. You can also email me at hurricanevnm@aol.com. Thanks.

Megan Murphy - 05:10pm Jul 6, 2006 PST(#36 of 37)

My family and I want to host a mystery party but we don't know how or what do to. Please Help

Lucky Scout - 02:06am Jul 7, 2006 PST(#37 of 37)

Megan, are you going to be buying one of the mystery party kits? If so the instructions in the box are very helpful.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Games & Puzzles  / Mystery Parties  / Creating Mystery Games

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: