Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / List of Authors  / List of Authors P - R  /

Ross, Kate (Julian Kestral Series)

Nancy - 06:19pm Feb 25, 1998 PST
Guest User

I've recently read the Devil in Music and The Broken Vessel, and enjoyed the writing style and historical aspects of these mystery novels. Kate Ross is an author I'm going to read more of. I'm looking for the first book in the Julian Kestrel series, but it's not locally available.

The Broken Vessel is an especially thoughtful title, considering first its biblical origin, the status and "purpose" of women in the regency era, and the societal values of the Regency era. I'd like to hear from others who have read any of these books!

K. Slaughter - 02:44pm Mar 4, 1998 PST(#1 of 5)

I just ordered all three of her earlier books. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks for the rec.

K. Slaughter

K. Slaughter - 10:03am Mar 16, 1998 PST(#2 of 5)

Okay, I wasn't jazzed on the first book, but the second was better, and the third was great. I am always pleased to see an author who actually listens to her critics. Ross's mechanics have vastly improved, thus helping her story-telling, from book to book. I think I'll go ahead and spring for the HC of her latest book. This one is in Italy, right?

K

Andi Shechter - 01:17am Mar 22, 1998 PST(#3 of 5)

It is my sorry task to report that this wonderful person and talented author died March 12, 1998. Kate was 41 and had been fighting cancer. I know from what I have seen and read on line how much she will be missed. She was my friend and I'm in great shock.

j.w. - 05:30pm Aug 23, 1998 PST(#4 of 5)

I just finished reading "Cut To The Quick", and "A Broken Vessel", and am currently engrossed in "The Devil In Music". I am so sorry to learn that such a talent has passed away so early... Kate Ross had such an engaging way of telling a story. I found myself hard pressed to put down her book once I started reading it. Her Julian Kestrel is fast in becoming one of my favorite sleuth of all time. I wished so hard there could be more, but... Now I have mixed feelings when I read "The Devil In Music". Part of me can not put it down until I reach the end, yet another part of me wish the end will never come. I know very little about Kate Ross except what's been printed inside her books. I don't even know what she looked like. But I felt such tragedy upon hearing her passing away. After learning that she had been fighting cancer, I aslo regard her as being heroic. She must've been writing her books during her battle with cancer. Although cancer took her life, she had left her wonderful books for the world to remember her by.

p.s. I will recommand her books to all of my mystery loving friends!

Jenni - 07:34pm Oct 14, 1998 PST(#5 of 5)

I am also so sorry to hear of Kate Ross's death this year. I loved Cut to the Quick, but had not been able to find out if she'd written any more in this series, until just now, in this web page.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / List of Authors  / List of Authors P - R  / Ross, Kate (Julian Kestral Series)

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: