Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / List of Authors  / List of Authors A - B  /

Allingham, Margery

0 0
To Buy Books
by this Author

Shop for Books
Shop for Books
Keywords:

MysteryNet.com Books, in association with Barnes&Noble.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
  Browse authors and genres
  Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
The novels of Margery Allingham have been roundly praised on several scores: for the development and endurance of her characters, the ingenuity of her plots, and the sheer impudence of the names she chose for protagonists and bit players alike. There is a joy of language in Allingham, much as there is in her contemporaries, Sayers and Christie. Her series featuring Albert Campion has won her many loyal followers.

Please add to this discussion!

neenah - 11:10am Oct 24, 1998 PST(#1 of 7)

Oh, yes! Margery Allingham is every bit a joy to read as Chrisie and Marsh!I have most of her books (in used paperbacks) and have one burning question: Who is Campion related to? It is suggested that he is of the aristocracy-- or maybe even royal? Has anyone figured it out? Neenah

Edith Beers - 07:05pm Nov 15, 1999 PST(#2 of 7)

Just finished my first Margery Allingham book "The Crime at Black Dudley" and I also have questions about Mr. Campion - I think he's quite a rogue, one that you have to like and wonder about - now I'll have to stop at very use book shop to find a copy of some of Allingham's book because I understand that many of them are out of print - Edie

Godfrey - 05:20pm Nov 19, 1999 PST(#3 of 7)

The most recent reprints of the Albert Campion Mysteries occured after Peter Davison (of "Dr. Who" fame) portrayed the character on tv.

The books I have (published by Avon books) have dates in the mid-late '80s and early '90s.

Benita Morris - 01:45pm Dec 26, 1999 PST(#4 of 7)

I've been an Allingham fan for many years and have most of her Campion books in hardcover plus tapes of the PBS series of Campion shows they did a few years ago. I thought they did a fairly good job on the tv series of getting the heart of the books on film. How does everyone else view the TV series?

mike jones - 03:34pm Apr 15, 2000 PST(#5 of 7)
AKA MikeyfromBlighty

I've only read two or three Allingham books, they do seem quite hard to come by. She compares very favourably to Christie if anyone fancies a different author. Dorothy L Sayers on the other hand is a very different author, very well written but you really do need to set aside a long time to read one of her novels, they are very substantial to say the least!!

Phyllis Stice - 11:23am Feb 26, 2002 PST(#6 of 7)

I'm an Allingham fan, too, and my fandom actually resulted from the tv series. After having read them all (bless my mother for having a GREAT library of mysteries), I wish that I could see the series again. I recall at the time thinking that Peter Davison did a splendid job of conveying Campion's playfulness and his famous "blank" mode, as well as his more serious and dangerous sides. I continue to reread the series once every several years. Allingham was indeed terrific at character development (my major criterion for reading and loving mysteries) and her plotlines delight over and over again.

Thomas Keith - 04:46pm Aug 10, 2003 PST(#7 of 7)

For all those who have yet to try Margery Allingham, I wholeheartedly urge you to do so. Either "Dancers in Mourning" or "Death of a Ghost" will serve as an excellent introduction to Albert Campion; also, Allingham was top-notch in the short story field, and "Mr. Campion and Others" is strong proof of this.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / List of Authors  / List of Authors A - B  / Allingham, Margery

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: