Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / List of Authors  / List of Authors C - D  /

Chesterton, G.K. (Father Brown)

0 0
To Buy Books
by this Author

Shop for Books
Shop for Books
Keywords:

MysteryNet.com Books, in association with Barnes&Noble.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
  Browse authors and genres
  Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%

Chesterton's Father Brown has a special distinction in the pantheon of literary sleuths: in the confessional this unassuming, innocent little priest has gained a deep intuition for the paradoxes of human nature. When murder, mayhem and mystery stalk smart society, only Father Brown can discover the startling truth.

Titles include: The Blue Cross; Father Brown of the Church of Rome and a collection, The Best of Father Brown.

Please discuss this author below.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (6 previous messages)
Runcible - 04:29am Mar 30, 2000 PST(#7 of 17)
"Semantics? - You dont know the meaning of the word!"

Im suprised this particular forum is so empty - why arent more people reading Father Brown?

As far as films etc are concerned I think there was more than one Father Brown film with Alec Guinness.

There was also a British TV series with Kenneth Moore as Brown. This was made quite a long time ago (20 years or more). I suppose there is some remote possibility that it might appear on PBS one day but as far as I know it has never been repeated even on UK TV. I believe it was videoed rather than filmed and this may make it less "portable".

Lorne Vallen - 09:31pm Apr 4, 2000 PST(#8 of 17)

I too loved Father Brown stories. The only tale which I did not like was the one concerning him deducing a crime by merely listening to a series of footsteps.

stikeforce - 05:15pm Apr 13, 2000 PST(#9 of 17)
"It's a cult... they worship blue oysters"... MST3K 'The Final Sacrifice'

I've been off line for a while, but I too am surprised there aren't more posts here. C'mon people, let's discuss!

Denise Walker - 08:33am Apr 14, 2000 PST(#10 of 17)

It is hard to find Father Brown books. Maybe that is why so few have read them. Maybe people like them so much they don't pass them on to others. Let others know he is out there.

stikeforce - 06:58am Apr 26, 2000 PST(#11 of 17)
"It's a cult... they worship blue oysters"... MST3K 'The Final Sacrifice'

The best place to find Father Brown is your public library. Esp. the bigger ones. Hit the library book sales to pick up great deals & help them out,too! Goodwill, et.al. are another way to pick up out of print books. They aren't in collector condition, but let's admit it once & for all, books were made be read, not put into a safe deposit box!

Tuppence - 02:22pm May 24, 2000 PST(#12 of 17)
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Also, you can always go to a site such as Amazon of B.N. and get some Chestersons. Has anyone read The Man Who Was Thursday, not a Father Brown, but still a mystery?

Hugh Drummond - 07:15am May 26, 2000 PST(#13 of 17)
" I have a criminal mind... I see bad in everyone," (Mr. J.G. Reeder)

I'm surprised, Vallen! I rather like detectives who can solve a crime in five seconds flat. But maybe that's just me. On the subject of books. Father Browns are rather a drug on the second-hand market in England. Come and buy.

HUD

Rik Shepherd. - 07:37am May 26, 2000 PST(#14 of 17)
Never hire a ferret to do a weasel's job

Tuppence - I've read Thursday, but I prefer the Club of Queer Trades..

Hugh Drummond - 07:40am Jun 1, 2000 PST(#15 of 17)
" I have a criminal mind... I see bad in everyone," (Mr. J.G. Reeder)

What about the flying Inn?

HUD

James Lupton - 06:36pm Oct 2, 2000 PST(#16 of 17)

Iīve read the Thursday book too. Itīs the only Chesterton Iīve ever read actually. I hope I donīt offend anyone who visits this page with what I have to say. I found the book interesting mainly for the portrayal, without apparent political or ironic interest, of the great but completely superficial anarchist scares. I liked the ending, which was fascinating in the way a Dora Carrington painting can be - all those men in top hats and the pale ill-defined place I imagine to be France. But I would like more curiosity about the society he lived in. Do the Father Brown books have this? (Then again his apparent lack of curiosity is itself interesting).

Am I being fair on GKC? People who know more let me know please.

James

Thorne Greggory - 05:47pm Apr 6, 2002 PST(#17 of 17)

Hello, I have not read G.K.C.'s "Father Brown" books, but I wish to. I cannot find them in any library nearby. What should i do?

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Books & Authors  / List of Authors  / List of Authors C - D  / Chesterton, G.K. (Father Brown)

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: