Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Other Mystery Topics  / Learning with Mysteries  / Educator-Submitted Lesson Plans  /

Witness for the Prosecution Lesson Plan

sandra berman - 05:48pm Mar 11, 1999 PST
Guest User

Have the students [high school] read Christie's story, "Witness for the Prosecution." There is ever so much material within this for various discussions. I found success using the story to get the kids to understand the basics of Amendments 4 through 6 of U. S. Constitution; a primer of their individual rights. After discussion of story, character development, plot, twists, turns, red herrings, etc., I then showed the old black and white video. Final evaluation exercise was for the class to write an essay of comparison/contrast between the story and the video. I was pleasantly shocked to discover most of the class prefered the written word to the video. It was a smashing success!

Misty Chermack - 10:22am Feb 8, 2000 PST(#1 of 4)

I am a high school teacher that teaches Detective Stories as an elective class for juniors and seniors. I am teaching from "The Detective Story" by Saul Schwartz (I cannot underline, so quotations will have to do for the title). This book is an excellent source, but it seems to be too advanced for my general English students. Are there other books on the market that might work better for the academically challenged students that do not juvenilize this genre?

Eileen Mann - 07:01am Jul 5, 2000 PST(#2 of 4)

HI. I am a seventh grade Language Arts teacher. I will be teaching "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and "The Hound of the Baskervilles" with some reluctant readers. Does anyone have a fun, creative idea for me? I am open to any and all suggestions. Please Help. Thanks!

. I am very interested in teaching

Shannon Christopher - 08:08pm Nov 28, 2000 PST(#3 of 4)

I am currently trying to create a thematic unit using mysteries. I have to come up with a writing, speaking, listening, reading, and thinking activity. HELP!

Shannon Christopher

Warren Ross - 12:15pm Dec 26, 2001 PST(#4 of 4)

Dear Eileen, I am a high school student myself, and I love any and all mysteries. If I were in your clasroom, the only trouble about reading Sherlock Holmes would be that you couldn't get me to read anything else.

My suggestion is that after your class reads these wonderful books, and you submitt thew test, challenge them to find other books in the mystery genre, new or old, preferably of the Golden Age, and hve them do an in-deepth book report of it.

I hope my suggestion was of help,

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Other Mystery Topics  / Learning with Mysteries  / Educator-Submitted Lesson Plans  / Witness for the Prosecution Lesson Plan

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: