Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Edgar Allan Poe  /

Poe's Marriage

Edgar Allan Poe Books

Find Books by:
In Association with Amazon.com

MysteryBookstore.com, in association with Amazon.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
• Browse authors and genres
• Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%

In 1836, Poe married his 13-year-old cousin, Virginia Clemm, and from then on was famously attached to both her and his aunt/mother-in-law, Maria Clemm, who often looked after Poe during his periodic illnesses. Virginia died in 1847 of tuberculosis, and many of Poe's works thereafter are dedicated to her.

After his wife's death, Poe's drinking and unsteady temperament worsened. Poe died a scant two years after Virginia.

What's your opinion? How did Poe's marriage affect his work? Share your thoughts here-- post a message below!

For more about Poe, read MysteryNet's profile of Edgar Allan Poe and the full-length version of "The Murders in the Rue Morgue".

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (3 previous messages)
Abby morris - 10:31am Jan 21, 2000 PST(#4 of 17)

actully poes first wife virgina was his 1st cousin and almost well every wife after that died of tuberculosis and i think it destoryed his by his marrages and also he was a very loving man and just adored women he meet because he was brought up by his foster family the "Alans"thats about it so if you disagree you can e-mial at 92060@bellsouth.net thankyou for reading my opinon and if you have anything to add to this plase post it thanks Abby

Kim Porter - 11:41am Sep 28, 2000 PST(#5 of 17)

Poe was almost 30 when he married 13-yr old cousin, Virginia. How sick is THAT?

Linda Kaye Crouch - 12:00am May 9, 2001 PST(#6 of 17)

Edgar Allen Poe did marry his 13 year old cousin, however, it was a marriage in name only. For those of you who might not know what that means, it means he never had sexual relations with her. She was sick and he wanted to take care of her. The honorable way to do that was to marry her. Poe was very poor all of his life and the women he loved, i.e.his mother, his cousin and others all died of TB. But no matter how troubled Poe's life was, he still had a sense of humor and would play and laugh with children on the streets, if they teased him when he walked by. He died tragically of Rabies and is buried in Baltimore,MD.

c. senn - 07:36pm Aug 13, 2002 PST(#7 of 17)

how many times was he married? was one wife anna belle lee?

poison wolf - 04:55pm Oct 23, 2002 PST(#8 of 17)

WEll she did die. And he was a good husband. And most of his later work was siad to be baised on her tragic death. I don't see a problem about and hey they never had kids.

poison wolf - 04:55pm Oct 23, 2002 PST(#9 of 17)

think he only married once.

Brandy Clinch - 11:24am Oct 29, 2002 PST(#10 of 17)

Who Was Poe's Fieance??

hello goodbye - 02:04pm Dec 17, 2002 PST(#11 of 17)

she killed him indirectly

Caramel - 02:42pm Jul 17, 2003 PST(#12 of 17)
"Hugs are Band-Aid's to a wounded soul..." -Quanita Winters

I know this is late, but back in that time, it was normal to marry younger and in the family.

Seda - 09:51pm Oct 21, 2003 PST(#13 of 17)

Anyone knowing who Lenore is?

taysia - 07:10am May 17, 2006 PST(#14 of 17)

poe is a sick freak who marries there 13 year old cousin and he was 26 i dont care what time period they were living in thats nasty he's old enough to be her daddy ppl these days

yvonne porras - 05:37am Nov 15, 2007 PST(#15 of 17)

um, ok i dk who his fiance was but i agree with caramel it was normal back then to marry family and people several years younger than u

Katrina Ingram - 04:55pm Jan 21, 2009 PST(#16 of 17)

My opinion @ E.A.Poe is that he was a compassionate man, who cared @ his immediate family, Virginia Clemm & Maria Clemm. His work is reflective of his thoughts @ death which was prevelant in his life early on. From a source in Baltimore on-line, I read that Mr. Poe's parents died due to a car accident and not TB. He travelled and attended school in England & Virginia. He worked in various places and he was associated with the military. His legal father, the one who adopted him, had issues with Poe paying a gambling debt. Poe married his cousin, Virginia, and I can almost certainly agree that it was to take care of her. Her death influenced most of his writings.

Fran Hinkel - 02:52am Jul 10, 2009 PST(#17 of 17)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

Poe's father either died or deserted his family in 1809, the year of Poe's birth. He had a younger sister, her paternity under suspicion. His mother died after an illness, more or less penniless, in 1811, when Poe was 2 years old.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Edgar Allan Poe  / Poe's Marriage

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: