Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Agatha Christie  / Books & Plays  /

"The Body in the Library"

A hotel dancer is found murdered in the home of a respected Colonel.
Can you solve the crime with Miss Marple? Discuss it here!

WARNING! Crucial plot points may be discussed!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (37 previous messages)
Andrew McLennan - 04:40pm Aug 26, 2003 PST(#38 of 47)

Paul, if I understand your request correctly you're asking for titles of other Christie novels that are on a par with The Body In The Library. Well, there is far and away too many to mention however here's five very different novels for you to check out (if you haven't already since you wrote): The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd, The Seven Dials Mystery, And Then There Were None, N Or M, Endless Night. I consider all these equal (if not superior) to The Body In The Library.

For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It was probably the best Marple I have read so far (am yet to read The Moving Finger or A Murder Is Announced). The plot was quite brilliant, there were plenty of amusing bits throughout and, as with most Marples, it was an intriguing and entertaining look at English village life. It's certainly up there with the 'good ones'!

Jerry Burton - 05:50am Sep 1, 2003 PST(#39 of 47)
No smoke without fire

My favourite Marple is definately "Murder is Announced" although "Body in Library" has it good points. :-)

Timothy Attard Montalto - 11:08am Aug 29, 2004 PST(#40 of 47)

Hey guys, so what do you guys think of Agatha?

Missy Sweesy - 09:17am Aug 30, 2004 PST(#41 of 47)
Life has a way of finding you, no matter how artistic a sneak you are.---Keeper proverb---Thief: The Dark Project.

Timothy,

We love her! That's why we're here :-) Welcome to MysteryNet!!

DeeGee - 11:28am Dec 18, 2004 PST(#42 of 47)
A birth certificate shows you were born. A death certificate shows you have died. A photo album shows you have lived.

Oh Dear I watched the "new" version on the box the other night...

Just what where they thinking!?

I'll try and forgo the changing of the plot and the murderer, really it was just too tacky for words...

And did anyone notice how they made the Library look? hanging in cobwebs and the chairs ripped.

If I remember correctly in the book it says "faded" from it's best days, with the furniture showing signs of wear. It says nothing about cobwebs the size of kites hanging from the books...whoever did the sets didn't read the book.... but then...

neith did the people who wrote the script.

Disappointing to say the least.

• sigh*

• The Clueless One - 11:41am Dec 18, 2004 PST(#43 of 47)
    An error occurred while processing this directive.

Would you say Joan Hickson was the definitive Miss Marple, Deegee?

DeeGee - 11:09am Dec 20, 2004 PST(#44 of 47)
    A birth certificate shows you were born. A death certificate shows you have died. A photo album shows you have lived.

Well Clueless...

..yes, I think she was. Though I'm getting used to this new Marple. But the script writing *oh the writing* leave a lot to be desired.

Joan Hickson played Marple as the book portrays her. Simple as that. Now when I read, I envision Joan Hickson as Miss Marple. (does that make sense.)

It's going to take a long while for anyone to over take Joan Hickson as the definate Miss Marple.... but the writing and the setting has to be spot on, not slapped about like some old emulsion.

The Clueless One - 11:20am Dec 20, 2004 PST(#45 of 47)
    An error occurred while processing this directive.

It does make sense, Deegee :)

Basically, whenever a film adaptation is made, they should stick to the time period set in the book and shouldn't feel the need to update it.

DeeGee - 11:11am Dec 21, 2004 PST(#46 of 47)

Thanks Clueless ;o)

Missy Sweesy - 08:57pm Dec 21, 2004 PST(#47 of 47)
    Life has a way of finding you, no matter how artistic a sneak you are.---Keeper proverb---Thief: The Dark Project.

I agree with you Clueless and Dee. I see Joan as well when I read Marples. Just as I picture David Suchet when I read Poirots, and no one as Harley Quin. I can see the body, and even the suit sometimes, but never a face. More like a shadow...

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Agatha Christie  / Books & Plays  / "The Body in the Library"

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
    Shopping Here: