Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Agatha Christie  / Books & Plays  /

"The A.B.C. Murders"

Members of the Agatha Christie Society voted this baffling case one of their all-time favorites. Do you agree?

Can you catch the alphabetical assassin with Hercule Poirot? Discuss it here!

WARNING! Crucial plot points may be discussed!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (28 previous messages)
Mark B - 06:33am Nov 26, 2001 PST(#29 of 41)

Welcome to the site. Fortunately, I think you are safe now!!

Kartikeya Rao - 05:25am Nov 29, 2001 PST(#30 of 41)

How would Poirot know that Franklin Clarke was the killer, if he said that the killer was the man who Thora Grey met. Wouldn't Gray know he was the man and turn suspicious?

Mark B - 06:01am Nov 29, 2001 PST(#31 of 41)

SPOILER************************

Kartikeya, The man Thora Grey met selling stockings was Mr. Cust, not Franklin Clarke. Remember, he was the one set to "take the fall" for the murders.

Magnus Klaue - 04:02pm Jan 10, 2002 PST(#32 of 41)

What do you think of the character of Mr. Cust? For me, he is one of the most interesting and - in a way - most sypmathetic protagonists in Christie's books, a very strange and psychologically 'deep' character.

AngeliqueF - 10:12pm Jan 15, 2002 PST(#33 of 41)

I always feel sorry for him, and I am glad Poirot was so nice to him at the end of the book.

Simon harris - 10:32am Aug 31, 2002 PST(#34 of 41)

I like Hastings the most, and This i a really great book!!! If you havenīt read it,,,DO IT!! Good ending too!

Have anyone wrote this book down in word or somethin?? Cause Iīd like to have it in word.... please...

Prairie - 11:39pm Oct 17, 2002 PST(#35 of 41)

The reason for me reading this book coz I read that it among the list of Christie's recommended 12. Boy, the most GIGANTIC red herring I have ever come across... yes... one great book.. lived up to my expectations!

Maggie Cat - 07:54pm May 11, 2003 PST(#36 of 41)
"No fur, no paws, no tail. They run away from mice. They never get enough sleep. How can you help but love such an absurd animal?"- Catnip For The Soul

I love this book! It was nice to see Hastings again, I've always been fond of him (and not just because I have auburn hair ;) Somehow, his tendency to overlook the obvious makes me feel less inadequate when I can't discover the solution before it is revealed.

Am I the only person who thought the set up of A.B. Cust was rather heavy handed? There was such a surplus of information incriminating him, there was almost no way it could have been him committing the crimes.

Mark B - 06:57am May 13, 2003 PST(#37 of 41)

It is not uncommon for someone to have so much incriminating evidence against him or her that we think they couldn't have "done it", and yet they did! Just another trick!

Andrew McLennan - 05:43pm Aug 26, 2003 PST(#38 of 41)

Yeah, throughout reading, I was led to believe that AB Cust couldn't possibly be the murderer simply because there was so much evidence to say he was! This is classic Christie - you start thinking these things but then doubt them because, with experience, you doubt everything she tells you! Is it a set-up? Is it as clear as it's depicted? What's going on? This is where her brilliance shines - in her unpredictability. Towards the end of this book she had my thoughts twisting and turning in every direction possible and the ending is simply superb. It is certainly one of my favourites.

Dramaticat - 04:58am Aug 27, 2003 PST(#39 of 41)
"These little grey cells - it is up to them" - H. Poirot

This was the first AC book I read - way back when I was 13 - and responsible for my "addiction" to murder mysteries ever since!

Maggie Cat - 05:10am Aug 27, 2003 PST(#40 of 41)
"No fur, no paws, no tail. They run away from mice. They never get enough sleep. How can you help but love such an absurd animal?"- Catnip For The Soul

You were claimed as an AC victim Drama? For me it was Sherlock Holmes.

Dramaticat - 06:15am Aug 27, 2003 PST(#41 of 41)
"These little grey cells - it is up to them" - H. Poirot

Yep - AC got me! I haven't read too many of Mr Holmes adventures, but have enjoyed the ones I have read.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Agatha Christie  / Books & Plays  / "The A.B.C. Murders"

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: