Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Agatha Christie  / Books & Plays  /

"Death on the Nile"

Of all of her mysteries with foreign settings, Christie was especially fond of this one and members of the Agatha Christie Society voted it one of their favorites, as well. Do you agree?

Discuss it here!

WARNING! Crucial plot points may be discussed!

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (56 previous messages)
Jim Sedgwick - 09:46am Feb 26, 2002 PST(#57 of 68)

Excellant summery Missy. I love it:-) This is was the first AC book I read. I was 16 years old at the time. The book blew me away with it's well plotted storyline and fascinating characters & setting. The identity of the culprits came a complete surprise. Again, why would anyone wish to cheat themselves from such a delicious read? What was your first AC book,Missy?

Missy Sweesy - 07:21pm Feb 27, 2002 PST(#58 of 68)
Life has a way of finding you, no matter how artistic a sneak you are.---Keeper proverb---Thief: The Dark Project.

I don't remember the first book, but I saw Seven Dials as the ABC weekly movie, and got hooked that way. I've re-read the books so much, I can't tell when I read them to start with...but I did clean the library out of the meager selection they had, then hit the yard sales/flea markets, and the used book stores.

megan Cousins - 12:39am Mar 13, 2002 PST(#59 of 68)

just wanted to write that `i love most of her books and this one is certainly no exception this lady was a genius

Courtney F - 06:31pm Aug 26, 2002 PST(#60 of 68)

This is one of my two favorite books! I love it! It fits together so perfectly! Please email me and we can discuss it!

Jerry Burton - 06:51am Aug 28, 2002 PST(#61 of 68)
No smoke without fire

I liked "Death On The Nile" too. I felt sorry for the main murder victim - I'm not saying any more!

Thane Leukis - 10:33am Aug 28, 2002 PST(#62 of 68)
Will solve P&S's for food.

I just finished reading Death on the Nile. It is an excellent book with multiple plots and sub-plots and Christie's twists and character development. However, Christie herself gave away the ultimate secret. The first to be suspected is he who profits most. Christie has stated this specifically in other novels and when not specifically stated it is always implied. But this was never mentioned here or even considered. Doyle stood to inherit fabulous wealth. After he was incapacitated he needed an accomplice and I thought that person rather obvious too. Here was Doyle with the woman he loved and untold millions. It was just too convenient and not nearly enough suspicion was cast on these two.

Alexandra Capova - 08:59am Sep 1, 2002 PST(#63 of 68)

It's one of my favorite books written by Agatha Christie but I read it about two years ago so I don't forget about it verz well

Jim Sedgwick - 12:35pm Dec 2, 2002 PST(#64 of 68)

Thane, how did Christie give it away? Did I miss something?:-)

Mark B - 07:07am Feb 25, 2003 PST(#65 of 68)

I just listened to David Suchet's unabridged version of Death on the Nile. He is superb as usual--I really like the Poirot voice I am used to in the dialogue of the books. I have one complaint, though. The voice Suchet uses for Colonel Race is his "old British investigator" voice I have noticed in other readings. The voice has a pronounced lisp which does not accord at all with the picture of Colonel Race I have from this and other Race books. It was really out of place--like Barbara Walter's uncle, perhaps. Too bad one of the murder weapons was a "wevolver!"

Andrew McLennan - 03:43pm Nov 20, 2003 PST(#66 of 68)

This was one of the first Christie's I read and one that I remember most fondly. It was the book that really showed me how brilliant her plots were. I remember the characters were fascinating, as was the setting and the denouement simply blew me away; I didn't pick it at all. What I liked most about this book was that the plot and climax was so unique and brilliant, yet completely credible also. Surely it is one of Christie's finest and it is probably the book I am most looking forward to rereading.

Susan Thornton - 04:50pm Feb 21, 2005 PST(#67 of 68)

This book was a great read. it was so exciting that i couldn't put the book down. Every second of it made you wonder and thats is what i love. Well done Agatha!

Amy-chan - 01:29pm Apr 14, 2007 PST(#68 of 68)

I love this book! It keeps you wondering!

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Agatha Christie  / Books & Plays  / "Death on the Nile"

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: