•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / TV, Movies & More  / Stage  /

Plays by Frederick Knott

Frederick Knott is the author of "Dial 'M' for Murder," "Write Me a Murder" (both Edgar award winners for Best Play), and "Wait Until Dark."

• Have you seen plays by Knott?
• What did you enjoy about them?
• Have a question about them that you'd like to ask?

Rich Weill - 09:13pm Nov 11, 1997 PST(#1 of 5)

After over 30 years since his last play, the word is that Frederick Knott is back. He is revising and updating "Wait Until Dark" for a Broadway revival starring Quentin Tarrantino. In addition, "Dial 'M' for Murder" is being remade as "Perfect Murder" starring Michael Douglas.

If anyone has any further information about this master of the stage mystery, I would appreciate hearing from you at Merridew@aol.com.

Rich Weill - 07:54pm Nov 14, 1997 PST(#2 of 5)

As a follow-up to my earlier post, the following appeared in today's (11/14/97) New York Times:

The deal is done. Quentin Tarantino will make his Broadway debut next spring in an updated revival of the thriller "Wait Until Dark," playing Roat, the psychopath who terrorizes Susy, a recently blinded housewife, who may be played by the Oscar-winner Marisa Tomei.

In the original 1966 production of the Frederick Knott thriller, Robert Duvall played Roat to Lee Remick's Susy; Alan Arkin and Audrey Hepburn starred in the 1967 film. Leonard Foglia will direct the revival, which will spend three weeks at the Wilbur Theater in Boston before coming to Broadway in late March at a theater to be announced.

John Greco - 03:18pm Jan 24, 1998 PST(#3 of 5)

Rick,

I saw the Broadway production of Wait Until Dark, back in 1996 and have seen the film a couple of times. I thought Lee Remick was wonderful in the role of Suzy and wished she had been able to recreate the role in the film. Only problem I have with this play/film is since Suzy is blind why did the Roat have to disguise himself once he realized she was blind?

It will be interesting to see what changes Knott makes in the upcoming 1998 version.

Rich Weill - 01:39am Feb 8, 1998 PST(#4 of 5)

John:

You were not the only one bothered by that incongruity. Critic Walter Kerr wrote that upon seeing the scene you mention, he assumed the play's twist would involve the revelation that Suzy wasn't really blind after all. When this wasn't the case, he was tremendously disappointed. [The piece is reprinted in the Kerr collection "Thirty Plays Hath November."]

laura kenney - 11:24am Dec 6, 1999 PST(#5 of 5)

I am a graduate student trying to find Frederick Knott's perhaps unpublished play Mr. Fox of Venice in an attempt to study how Joseph Mankeweicz based his 1967 movie The Honey Pot on Knott's adaptation of Thomas Sterling's novel The Evil of the Day, an update of Ben Jonson's play Volpone. I've exhausted all of my known research tools. Can anyone help??

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / TV, Movies & More  / Stage  / Plays by Frederick Knott

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: