•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Elements of a Mystery  /

Clues: Planting, Hiding, Interpreting

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (149 previous messages)
Ronald Heath - 06:08pm Jul 11, 2003 PST(#150 of 157)

What sort of clues should plant that shows that Adrian had opportuntuy, mrthod, and motive.

Ronald

Ronald Heath - 12:26am Jul 12, 2003 PST(#151 of 157)

I'm going to have Kevin and Dan have access to a baseball bat, as you say it won't look obouis that Adrian was the only one who had a baseball bat. I have also decided that Wilma would be killed in the lounge of her home and her body placed in a bath full of water. That means I can use the earing and the diamond and the cufflink as clues. As for each of the suspects opportunity, well thats a problem at this stage as I'm only working out the plot of the story. What do you think?

Ronald

Ronald Heath - 11:51pm Jul 20, 2003 PST(#152 of 157)

This question is for short story that I'm going to write and submit for a local contest. It's 2000 words.

Debbie is searching for her prized show dog which has been stolen a week before the annual dog show.

I need four complications--each getting worse, which makes Debbie's job very difficult.

Ronald

Juanita Rose Violini - 11:05pm Feb 22, 2004 PST(#153 of 157)
www.incrediblealmanac.com

Hi Everyone,

I'm have a regular mystery contest at our website. Go to

www.masterpiecemysterys.com and follow the links.

have fun and good luck

mary robertson - 03:45pm Oct 28, 2004 PST(#154 of 157)

I'm looking for examples of brilliant case solving using logic (fiction or non-fiction). I don't have time to read novels - I just need the solutions and the clues that led to them. Does anyone know if there's a book, website or publication that complies this kind of information? Is there a book that summarizes the plots and solutions of Agatha Christie novels for instance?

Juanita Rose Violini - 01:37pm Oct 29, 2004 PST(#155 of 157)

Agatha Christie is definately the Master of the Puzzle Mystery - noticing the little details and solving mysteries through logic. Rex Stout is pretty good too. Those are my favourite authors for 'Whodunnits'.

There is an Agatha Christie companion book that summarizes plots but not solutions. Basically you are asking about the cluetrail - the crux of the matter that so many writers struggle with to get all the relevant information out without being too obvious or too obscure. The only place I know of where that information exists is inside my head.

When I began writing mystery scripts I wanted to make sure that the mysteries could actually be solved and so I analyzed quite a few writers and their works to see how it all fit together.

Currently I am writing my own book on the matter - It's called Mystery Bones and will lay out, in detail and in general - how to go about laying a cluetrail.

Is there a specific reason that you need the information for?

Mary Grether - 07:02am Aug 1, 2005 PST(#156 of 157)

I would like to know how to really start a mystery. I do have a couple of stories but I need some help in getting them right. Any advice for a beginner? Mary

Juanita Rose Violini - 10:09pm Aug 7, 2005 PST(#157 of 157)

Mysteries aren't so different from other stories. Before you start you should know the answer to the questions who, what, when, where and why and, for puzzle mysteries, the all important HOW?

After that it really depends what kind of mystery you are wanting to write.

Puzzle mystery? My personal favorite. Suspense, psycho thriller or one of the many other sub-genres I am too tired to think of right now. There is probably guidelines for approaching all of them optimally.

Carolyn Wheat has an EXCELLANT book call 'How to Write Killer Fiction'.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Elements of a Mystery  / Clues: Planting, Hiding, Interpreting

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: