•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Elements of a Mystery  /

What's your poison?

A little cyanide with your marmalade? Maybe a touch of curare? Let us in on your favorite.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (99 previous messages)
Åsa Kwarnmark - 04:39pm Aug 7, 2000 PST(#100 of 110)
...or lobster thermador ecrovets with a bournaise sause, served in the purple salm manor with chalots and overshies, garnashed with truffle pate, brandy, a fried egg on top and spam.

Can somebody help me with a poison I need for a story? It should be something that a teenage girl could be carrying around in her purse - maybe some type of medicine or party drug or something that she could slip into the victim's coffee.

David Somerville - 01:30am Dec 12, 2000 PST(#101 of 110)

I need help with a poisonous gas. In my mystery, someone will be locked in a room with a steady gas flow into that room which would eventually kill them.

The only one I can think of is nitrous oxide. I believe this is laughing gas, and eventually will cause someone to asphyxiate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But if someone can think of a better gas...something that will take only a few minutes to take effect.

Min - 09:51am Jun 26, 2001 PST(#102 of 110)

I'm writing a story and in desperate need of information on a drug which could kill, but is soluable in water, odourless and hardly detectable in a postmortem.

Juanita Rose Violini - 07:53pm Jun 26, 2001 PST(#103 of 110)
www.incrediblealmanac.com

Tap water (at least in our city)

Jocelyn Bernal - 11:32pm May 13, 2002 PST(#104 of 110)

I'd like to write a mystery involving poison mushrooms. I'm sure I can find out the most lethal varieties, no problem. The problem is that it would be set in current times, and I doubt that poison mushrooms would be a very effective method of murdering someone. It seems to me the victim would just end up in the emergency room. Any ideas on how to make poison mushrooms work as a modern day method of poisoning? BTW, if it makes any difference, the victim would be an elderly man. Thanks for the help!!!

Fran Hinkel - 09:50am Jul 17, 2002 PST(#105 of 110)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

I miss Poison Guy! He would have been the perfect source of info on this. Alas, he moved to Greece, married his Nemesis and has very little time to visit us anymore. Poison, if you see this, please drop a line!

PoisonGuy - 03:01am Oct 31, 2002 PST(#106 of 110)
I got my Nemesis pregnant!

Hello Fran...how do you do? It's my semi-annual presence.

Jocelyn…I can think of two good mushrooms of the top of my head. The first is the Gyromitra (sp?) genus. This one contains an ingredient found in rocket fuel, monomethylhydrazine, and causes seizures in some people. Even inhaling the fumes while cooking these can be toxic. Therefore, in an elderly person this could lead to a rapid death. The other is the Amanita genus. Many species are toxic. These cause liver failure over a period of days to weeks. They are very difficult to treat, liver transplantation being to only remedy. It may be a choice for an elderly as they are often at the bottom of organ transplant lists.

Hope that helps. I know there are other choices but these are the best.

josie rogers - 06:27am Feb 10, 2003 PST(#107 of 110)

to Jocelyn Bernal: you have an advantage as the victim is elderly and male. The elderly, especialy males do NOT go readily to doctors/ers. And, he would be sure to believe that the emerg. folks thought he was dumb enough to make the mistake in the first place. Fear of ridicule, fear of change, fear of a really "not serious enough" illnes kills not a few of them.

josie rogere - 11:00am Feb 10, 2003 PST(#108 of 110)

josie again to Jocelyn-forgot to add that if you are writing about old people it may be a good idea to get to know some. We are not really different-just 'more so.'

Frith Chaffey - 01:53am Jan 19, 2004 PST(#109 of 110)

I live in australia where poisons and venoms abound...everything from the suburban oleander bush which if burnt gives off a noxious fume: in a locked room deadl; to creepy crawlies and deadly snakes. Then there is always ordinary old food poising such as lesteria (I may have misspelled that) which affects people in Europe and UK and likely to cause death in the very young, elderly, or infirm, and cause abortion. just call me Lucretia

Lucas Latin - 04:53pm Sep 6, 2005 PST(#110 of 110)

Arsenic surely is unbeatable! Can be dissolved in water and after some time taking it, the victim dies with "Gastrical problems"...Okay, any autopsy would discover fast the poison...but is just a matter to discover some mean to stop the doctors. You're the author, think!

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Elements of a Mystery  / What's your poison?

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: