Buy through our affiliates:
•  Mystery Guild Book Club
•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / General Information For Getting Published  /

The value of a writer's conference

Brandt Dodson - 09:44am Feb 28, 2006 PST
Mystery author

Hi all,

I've had some recent success in "breaking through" that I wanted to share, with the hope that is helps all of you who may be struggling to get over the transom.

I signed a three book contract with Harvest House publishers for a mystery series I proposed and the first of these, "Original Sin" is coming out next week. (The other two over the next ten months). I did it by attending a writer's conference and making the best of the situation.

We are all told, today, that you need an agent. And, that's probably true, most of the time. I didn't have an agent, so I began attending a writer's conference where I would have a chance to meet with editors (and yes, agents too) to "pitch" my book.

This is an excellent opportunity, but does require some pre-prep work on your part. You must, for example, have your "elevator" speech. That's a pitch of your book that could be made to an editor that you would happen to meet on an elevator, before he/she steps off. In essence, boil your book down to a one sentence summary.

Also, you can attend critique sessions. These are often lead by editors and reading a chapter of your book can go along way toward getting noticed. That's how it happened to me.

Persistence, good writing, fresh approach or a new twist on an old one, are all important. But getting "noticed" is the key.

By all means, continue to reach out to agents. But, don't "write off" the conferences either. It just might be the door that will keep you from having to climb over the transom.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / General Information For Getting Published  / The value of a writer's conference

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: