Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Generally Speaking...  /

Getting Around Writer's Block

Chantel Dawn Lyngstad - 07:38pm Mar 18, 1999 PST
Guest User

Hey everybody!! You ever have one of those days when you can't remember anything? Well I do. Or should I say I did. Now everything is aok. I could never remember what clue, alibi, or etc my detective-character was supposed to discover that day. And I never could figure out quite when I should throw the clues in after I remebered I hadto throw them in. Are ya'll following me still? Anayway my sure fire idea is that you should make a daily planner for your detective. In the "assignments" box I write down all the clues I want him to find, all the leads I want him to chase down and so on. It wourks for me so I hope it gives you the same luck. CH

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (23 previous messages)
Sharon Cherback - 08:07pm Feb 18, 2000 PST(#24 of 32)

My mother, bless her heart is turning 83 this week, gives me some pretty good ideas. Typical NY Italian, she has a very warped sense of humor, its wonderful. I am new here, btw and am a bit plugged up myself right now. Thanks for the ideas, Reese. I have heard about exercising sense memories and that never seems to work for me, probably because my sense of smell and taste have been dulled by my *bad* smoking habit. I think I will take a look at that caregiverzone site. Mom is coming to live with us and I have some questions about elder care fixtures. I found a great half priced book store with 7 mystery aisles where we can go and hang out together. Maybe I can even get her interent friendly. Sharon Cherback

Hugh Drummond - 10:48am Feb 28, 2000 PST(#25 of 32)
" I have a criminal mind... I see bad in everyone," (Mr. J.G. Reeder)

I occasionally get ideas out of the papers. For instance, we had a HUGE forgery case this side of the pond recently, so guess what my next bunch of crooks are doing?

HUD

Marie Giovanni - 02:55pm Nov 17, 2001 PST(#26 of 32)

Writer's block. I never have writer's block. I could write any time, any place. So no, writer's block is not truly my problem. This is. Plotting. When I have no set plot and no set characters, I write easily. But as soon as I start PLANNING how things are going to turn out, I am no longer able to write. How strange is that? So if anyone has ideas they'd like to share, go right ahead!

Juanita Rose Violini - 10:33am Nov 28, 2001 PST(#27 of 32)
www.incrediblealmanac.com

sometimes it works to start at the end and work backwords - sort of like the mazes in games book - for some reason it is easier to find the trail starting at the end. once you know where you want to end up then you can jot down a few notes of how to get there and away you go. it is definately best to know where you are going when writing a mystery and then retain flexibility if your characters decide to show you a better way to get there - at least you'll have a path for them to stray from.

NurseR - 04:41pm Feb 26, 2002 PST(#28 of 32)

My problem is I have the middle, and sometimes an ending, but getting started is always so hard for me! I never tried to write a *true* mystery novel, but I like to throw elements of mystery into my story, i.e., disappearing family and the main character (or characters) wondering what's going on and stuff like that.

And even though I'm not a "mystery" writer, I've gotten a lot of good stuff out of this area! I'm also one of those, like Hugh Drummond, to have multiple projects going at the same time and going back and forth between them.

Molly O. - 11:56am Mar 20, 2002 PST(#29 of 32)

Hi, I'm new to this board, but not to writing.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with more than one story on the go, although with me it's a case of getting caught up with enthusiasm on a new idea and not wanting to wait. However I agree, it does help when you get caught with writer's block.

Another thing that I find helps is to visualize different parts of your story when you can't actually work on it, and replay them a thousand times in your mind until you know them almost by heart. Then you can start with one of them and go from there. I have about six I alternate with thinking about, depending on my moods.

NurseR - 03:10pm Apr 30, 2003 PST(#30 of 32)

I have more than that! I use that particular trick all the time. In fact, just taking a character and imagining something different for them has led to several new story ideas, and ways out corners.

Olivia Maia - 06:07am Nov 27, 2003 PST(#31 of 32)
And when all else fails, play dead.

Juanita has a point.

I'm writing a story now that I wouldn't have ever started if I didn't start with a random scene of the middle. And the funny thing is, after I had that scene written, and another that comes after it, I started writing the beginning and then changed most of what I had written in the middle.

Hah.

If that made any sense at all.

The one novel I finished, a few months ago, I had a kind of a storyboard written in small paper pieces and places in order in a corkboard. It worked wonders. I wrote that one in 2 months. I never got stuck anywhere, cause it was just a matter of looking at the board and seeing what came next. Also was good because I could see the WHOLE story all at once, and knew what characters could just disappear, or what's the relation of the beginning with the ending.

Yeah, well. It's an idea.

Juanita Rose Violini - 01:25pm Nov 27, 2003 PST(#32 of 32)
www.incrediblealmanac.com

Excellant!

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Writing Mysteries  / Generally Speaking...  / Getting Around Writer's Block

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: