[F] Mystery Net Community  / TV, Movies & More  / Short Story Mysteries  /

Edward D. Hoch: The Master

0 0
To Buy Books
by this Author

Shop for Books
Shop for Books
Keywords:

MysteryNet.com Books, in association with Barnes&Noble.com, offers books picks by this author and many more.
  Browse authors and genres
  Any book bought supports MysteryNet.com-- save up to 40%
The unequalled Edward D. Hoch has written the greatest number of short story mysteries. He's had a story published in every issue of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine since 1970. Also a master of the locked room mystery, it has been said that his brain should be donated for scientific study. Discuss Mr. Hoch's works here, but don't give away the solution unless it's unavoidable! Post a message below.

Jim Doherty - 06:44pm Nov 13, 1997 PST(#1 of 6)

Hoch's stories about Captain Jules Leopold are probably the longest sustained short story series in the police procedural sub-genre and one of the few in that sub-genre appearing exclusively in the short story medium. That being the case, I was quite disappointed when Hoch decided to retire him from the police department. He's had a hard time coming up with excuses for getting Leopold involved in police investigations since then. I think he should figure out a way to "un-retire" him, and I've got a suggestion. Have the local district attorney hire Leopold as an investigator. DA's investigators are often retired cops and usually have full police power. This would allow Leopold to keep his hard-earned city pension and still be actively involved in professional law enforcement.

Cathy Schuchman - 01:14am Nov 14, 1997 PST(#2 of 6)

I agree-Edward Hoch is one of the best short story writers of our time. I look forward to his stories in EQMM and am disappointed in the rare edition that doesn't have one. Making Leopold a DA's investigator is a great idea. Having him fill in as a substitute chief of police in one story didn't make any sense. My favorite sleuth is Dr. Sam Hawthorne. But what impresses me is that Hoch has many sleuths in many different places under many different circumstances-in other words he is never boring.

Tigger - 08:04am Jun 27, 1998 PST(#3 of 6)

I really enjoyed these mysteries, although I only solved one corectly out of many! Yes, Edward Hoch is a great short mystery writer! I enjoy reading his short stories! This is proabaly what everyone thinks! Is it? Please answer

Paul Bergin - 12:26am Jul 5, 1998 PST(#4 of 6)

For what it's worth, I met Ed Hoch at the last Bouchercon in Monterey, CA. I was there as part of a panel on Florida crime fiction, but met Ed after a panel on the locked room mystery at which, as contributors to this discussion know, he excells. Delightful man. A little reserved, but very generous of time and and opinion. He always seems a little distracted, but that's probably the price one pays for having such an inventive mind. He never really stops working.

GS Litcher - 11:38am Apr 21, 2002 PST(#5 of 6)

E Hoch is the best at it now, I am searching for an anthology; does one exist?

Fran Hinkel - 08:03am Apr 25, 2002 PST(#6 of 6)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

I know that Hoch has authored several "Best Of" Anthologies, featuring various authors.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / TV, Movies & More  / Short Story Mysteries  / Edward D. Hoch: The Master

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: