•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Other Mystery Topics  /

1999 Edgar Awards

Mystery Writers of America Inc., a nonprofit professional organization of mystery and crime writers, nominates writers every year for the “Edgars,” an award named after the MWA’s patron saint, Edgar Allan Poe. The Edgars are awarded to authors of distinguished work in all categories in various categories of the genre.

Discuss the 1999 Edgar Awards here.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages (5 previous messages)
Lois Szymanski - 05:16pm Feb 18, 1999 PST(#6 of 17)

Shelley Sykes young adult novel "For Mike" is one of the best mystery novels I have read in years, for child, adult or young adult. It is a mystery with heart and emotion, one that has to touch anyone who has lost a loved one in a tragic manner and wondered what the real story was. I know why it was a Delacorte Prize Honor Book, and I hope it wins an Edgar! I'm already in line for Sykes' next novel!

LuluT - 09:07pm Feb 19, 1999 PST(#7 of 17)

"The Cater Street Hangman" from Anne Perry's novel was just marvelous, and captured the flavor of Victorian England perfectly. It was well written and casting was superb. Please continue the series with Callander Square and others. Keep Eoinn McCarthy and Keeley Dawes in the starring roles. Marvelous!!

E. Hill - 06:45am Feb 27, 1999 PST(#8 of 17)

The adaptation of The Cater Street Hangman is deserving of both the nomination and the award. Rarely do well-written books translate successfully into the television medium, but here is a fine example of an exception. Wonderfully done! I hope to see it evolve into series.

Tony Di Ruzza - 12:46am Feb 28, 1999 PST(#9 of 17)

Just finished "A Likeness In Stone" by J. Wallis Martin. Wow! This lady can write.

I'm a big Michael Connelly fan and loved "Blood Work". But this novel should get recognition just because this author seems totally unknown.

S. Peak - 12:44pm Mar 3, 1999 PST(#10 of 17)

I would like to congratulate "The Cater Street Hangman" for being nominated! The superb adaptation, casting, and perfect Victorian aura made for a piece that was a delight to watch. Good luck on winning, & I'll add my voice to those hoping for new installments of Anne Perry's work!

Carrie Slingsby - 04:46pm Mar 4, 1999 PST(#11 of 17)

I wholeheartedly agree with those who chose The Cater Street Hangman. Anne Perry's work is of such excellence and made for a fascinating movie. It takes talent to be able to write Historical convincingly and Anne does it every time. For the television episode, I go with Silent Witness. I always try to work the show into my schedule when its on. It makes me wonder what it would be like to see a Pat Cornwell book in living colour.

Darcy P. - 09:13am Mar 11, 1999 PST(#12 of 17)

I've posted a Popular Poll for the Children's and YA Edgars on my website: Fantastic Books: A Gift of Words <http://members.aol.com/fantstkbks/> Everyone is encouraged to vote for their favorite in these categories.

Jim Junot - 11:01am Mar 19, 1999 PST(#13 of 17)

I would like to see the Poe Awards break with tradition and start recognizing excellence in web sites as well as books/TV/radio and other media. In that respect, I would like to nominate the Patricia Cornwell Web Site. The URL is http://www.louisville.edu/~jsjuno01/pc.html

Janie Smith - 05:39pm Mar 27, 1999 PST(#14 of 17)

I would like to add my congratulations to Cater Street Hangman's nomination for the Edgar. I sincerely hope that it wins the nomination. As far as I'm concerned, none of the other nominations come close. I also wholeheartedly hope that there are more Thomas & Charlotte Pitt adaptations on TV. Janie

d bryan - 08:32pm Mar 27, 1999 PST(#15 of 17)

I almost never watch television or movie adaptations of well written novels because I am regularly disappointed when I do. However, I DID catch Cater Street last December, and I must say, although it was somewhat different from the book, the changes made sense and were acceptable. If all adaptations were as well done as Cater Street I'd watch more. What are the chances of more Anne Perry books being adapted for television?

Susan D. Smith - 09:11pm Apr 23, 1999 PST(#16 of 17)
Never without a Mystery!

Perry's books are wonderful! I don't watch too much TV, but if I had known there was an adaptation of Cater St Hangman I surely would've tuned in. I wonder if there's any chance it will re-run? Somehow I missed Bruinswick Gardens, but I'm going to find it! And then there's Bedford Square already out.

Robin Mercier - 08:10pm Apr 24, 1999 PST(#17 of 17)

I have to agree with the other posts congratulating The Cater Street Hangman. An excellent movie, a bit different than the book, true, but captivating all the same. I really hope that the series will continue, for all of Anne Perry's wonderful Pitt mysteries would be terrific on TV.

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Other Mystery Topics  / 1999 Edgar Awards

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: