•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  /

Charlie Chan

Charlie Chan wasn't entirely a fictional creation. The author Earl Derr Biggers fashioned him after a real-life detective in Honolulu named Chang Apana. The character appeared in six novels, the first of which was The House Without a Key, but it was his presence in more than forty movies that Charlie Chan replaced the then-pervasive image of the devious, sinister "Oriental villain" (such as Fu Manchu) with that of a calm, insightful, and never-failing sleuth who prevailed no matter how clever his adversary, or how much bumbling interference he experienced from one of his several wannabe sons.
Discuss this classic mystery character below.

For lots more about Charlie Chan, visit Mystery Net's Charlie Chan website.

Visit Charlie Chan
at MysteryNet.com

Charlie Chan

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (160 previous messages)
Jerome Correll - 03:48pm Jan 8, 2004 PST(#161 of 178)

I would like to know how many references to Charlie's Chinese background there are in his movies. I recently saw one film where William Demerest refers to Charlie as Chop Suey

Gary E. Finkenbinder - 01:34pm May 30, 2004 PST(#162 of 178)

To Craig Moore: I believe the title to the movie you asked about is "Charlie Chan at the Race Track".

Riban - 05:53pm Jul 14, 2004 PST(#163 of 178)

Where can I purchase a movie (VHS or DVD) of "Charlie Chan in Egypt"? Why did Fox Movies decide not to show Charlie Chan movies on TV? Why are people offended by them?

Fran Hinkel - 08:25am Jul 16, 2004 PST(#164 of 178)
You can check out anytime you like...but you can never leave!

Riban, if you click our link in the yellow box at the top of this page, and then click on the Ebay link, type in the name of the video there. There are currently copies of this video for sale. Good luck! Emailed you.

Doug Palmer - 12:45pm Jul 23, 2004 PST(#165 of 178)

For you folks that don't hang around the Charlie Chan Message Board that often, the Return of the Great Chan Poll is upon us:

The Great Chan Poll:

Rules:

1. Pick your Top 10 Chan movies of all time; it can be either your favorite films or the ones you consider the best, either way.

2. Place the movies in 1 to 10 order, with number 1 being your favorite/best film and number 10 being your 10th favorite/best Chan film.

3. There can be ties if you wish, such as 2 films being #5...if this happens, then there is no #6, and you start the list again at #7. There can be no more than 10 films total even with ties. Please try to keep ties at a minimum.

4. You must email me your Top Tens at chanpoll@cox.net. I will not accept any polls listed on the website, as this has influenced folks in the past on their own polls.

5. I will run this Poll for two weeks and announce the results on August 3. I will not post any running totals, as this influences people's votes as well, we want your opinion, this is your poll to choose what you want as your favorite Chans.

6. If you have any questions, please contact me at chanpoll@cox.net.

Here is a list of eligible Chan films for you to pick from and have been placed in order of their production, separated by star or change in production group.

Behind That Curtain Eran Trece

Black Camel Charlie Chan In London Charlie Chan In Paris Charlie Chan in Egypt Charlie Chan In Shanghai Charlie Chan's Secret Charlie Chan at the Circus Charlie Chan at the Racetrack Charlie Chan at the Opera Charlie Chan at the Olympics Charlie Chan On Broadway Charlie Chan In Monte Carlo

Charlie Chan In Honolulu Charlie Chan In Reno Charlie Chan at Treasure Island Charlie Chan In City of Darkness Charlie Chan In Panama Charlie Chan's Murder Cruise Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum Murder Over New York Dead Men Tell Charlie Chan In Rio Castle In The Desert

Charlie Chan In the Secret Service The Chinese Cat Black Magic The Jade Mask The Scarlet Clue The Shanghai Cobra Red Dragon Dark Alibi Shadows Over Chinatown Dangerous Money The Trap

The Chinese Ring Docks of New Orleans The Shanghai Chest The Golden Eye The Feathered Serpent The Sky Dragon

Return of Charlie Chan Charlie Chan and the Curse of the Dragon Queen

Ok, pick your Top Ten Chan films and email the results to me at Chanpoll@cox.net.

Thanks and have fun.

Doug Palmer - 07:46pm Aug 2, 2004 PST(#166 of 178)

Vote on Charlie Chan Poll now, the last date to Vote is August 8th, I will post the results on August 4-5.

Please email me at Chanpoll@cox.net with your Top Ten Charlie Chan films, please read the rule and films to vote on in the previous message.

Thanks.

Doug

Dark Monarch - 08:48am Dec 26, 2004 PST(#167 of 178)

I want to say that I absolutely LOVE Charlie Chan films. As a child, I would wake up extremely early and see Charlie Chan doing something in the wee hours of Saturday morning on Channel 2 from Greensboro, NC. Be it at a wax museum or him just keeping Birmingham and his daughter out of trouble for a " Meeting at Midnight " ( my personal favorite... ), I always enjoyed this movies.

( Sigh ) These days, I have to listen to that piece of human excrement Guy Aoki and his inane ramblings about how Charlie Chan was offensive. I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. As much as I love Charlie Chan, to me it's sad that we have to listen to idiots like Guy Aoki, who want to use these classic mystery movies to make a name for themselves.

Anyway, I love the series. Any and all, feel free to email me at Darkmonarch2003@hyahoo.com to discuss this further.

Y'all take care...

Lainey Washburn - 09:37am Jan 9, 2005 PST(#168 of 178)

First I just want to say that I too love Charlie Chan movies and I just don't understand how someone could think of him as offensive. I guess that being based on a real detective and ,as the character of Charlie Chan, he was a very well known and respected detective world wide that could solve crimes that noone else could ,and taking place at the time when they did with all the stupid prejudices that were around--yes, I guess that would make him offensive ------NOT!!!!!

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (10 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / Mystery Greats  / Charlie Chan

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: