•  Buy Books
•  Buy Games

Using Discussion

Registering (FREE—required to post)

• Subscribe   • Edit Posts   • Personal Profile

Customization & Tools (For Members)

[F] Mystery Net Community  / TV, Movies & More  / Short Story Mysteries  /

Short mystery stories

TV versus movies. Novels vs. short stories. Does anyone else out there feel like nothing gets the punch of a mystery across as well as a short story?

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (17 previous messages)
Debbie Kibler - 07:51am Oct 2, 1998 PST(#18 of 39)

Hi, I am new here. Can anyone tell me if they know of a short story titled "Don't Look Behind You."? I remember reading it in an Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine back in the early 70's. I don't remember the author. I would really like to read it again. Thanks for any help.

Gervase Charmley - 12:27pm Oct 15, 1998 PST(#19 of 39)

Hello. I've got an old Anthony Berkley novel at home called 'The Second shot' But I'm afraid I've never heard of the story mentioned. However, as an Edgar Wallace Fan, I'd like to mention his book 'The Terror' Which, at the end, has two very short (And sweet) Mystery stories. Also his 'Four Just Men' Short story collections, just for the sake of bringing the name up.

Paul Watson - 12:27pm Oct 16, 1998 PST(#20 of 39)

To Gervase,

The Anthony Berkeley novel you mention, _The Second Shot_, was well-known because of his essay, a preface to the novel I believe, on the future of the mystery story. He believed that the mystery was going to evolve away from the puzzle of pure detection and more into a novel of character -- as it has. Ironic that one of the pioneers of the modern character-driven story has been so completely forgotten.

See if you can find one of his from 1937 called _Trial and Error_. It features one of the most unusual protagonists ever in mysteries of those days.

Gervase Charmley - 09:21am Oct 17, 1998 PST(#21 of 39)

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to find it.

Gervase Charmley - 09:42am Oct 20, 1998 PST(#22 of 39)

further on Berkley. What he said was that the mystery would evolve in two directions. Firstly, telling the story in a non-linear way (Beginning in the middle, then going back to the beginning, etc), and secondly, that it would evolve away from the simple 'whodunnit' into a character-driven story (ie, the puzzle is not 'Who killed Y' but 'what on earth posessed X to kill Y'.

Shelly Lowell - 07:36pm Apr 23, 1999 PST(#23 of 39)

Does anyone know the name of the Roald Dahl short story about the conman/psychic who becomes a Robin Hood for orphans?

Ronald Kimball - 09:20am Apr 26, 1999 PST(#24 of 39)

Answer to Shelly Lowell's Question: "Does anyone know the name of the Roald Dahl story about the conman/psychic who becomes a Robin Hood for orphans?"

The story is "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar"; you can find it in the book "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More", along with six other short stories by Roald Dahl. My favorite story was "The Hitchhiker".

crazy girl - 10:27pm Apr 28, 1999 PST(#25 of 39)

Hi ! I just wanted to say that it's my first time here.

Hugh Drummond - 12:29pm Apr 29, 1999 PST(#26 of 39)
" I have a criminal mind... I see bad in everyone," (Mr. J.G. Reeder)

A note from Hugh. 'Sapper', the author of the Bulldog Drummond books produced a number of fine collections of Short stories. These include 'The Dinner Club', 'The Man in Ratcatcher', 'The Saving Clause', 'The Finger of Fate' and, of course, his Ronald Standish stories. Not to mention the fine War Stories with with he made his name. On a light note, Sapper recieved more money from his first story, word for word, then from any other. He was given a sound racing tip in lieu of payment, and made quite a pile.

HUD

Diva - 08:00pm Apr 29, 1999 PST(#27 of 39)
look famous, be legendary, appear complex, act easy, radiate presence, travel light, seem a dream, prove real

Debbie Kibler,

you might be talking about a short story called 'Don't Look Now' by Daphne Du Maurier. She also wrote 'The Birds' and 'Rebecca'. Don't look now was made into a movie, but not by Hitchcock.

later, Diva

Steve Bailey - 01:59pm Jul 26, 1999 PST(#28 of 39)

Debbie Kibler I can't help you with the author of 'Don't Look Behind You' but I think I've read the story you're referring to. Is it narrated by someone who witnesses a drowning accident who realises it was a murder as he tells the reader about it? As I remember the story has a shocking mid-sentence ending? Is that the one you're thinking of? If so it has been anthologised in book form at some stage, because I read it a number of years ago.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (11 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Mystery Net Community  / TV, Movies & More  / Short Story Mysteries  / Short mystery stories

In Association with Amazon.com

Support MysteryNet

Start Your Amazon
Shopping Here: