Nancy Drew Books | Nancy Drew Games | Nancy Drew Auctions | Knowing Nancy Drew and Carolyn Keene | Discuss Nancy Drew

Nancy Drew Games Buy Nancy Drew Games
Support this website: Buy your games through our affiliation with Amazon. Browse Nancy Drew Games
Nancy Drew Books Buy Nancy Drew Books
Support this website: Buy your books through our affiliation with Amazon. Browse Nancy Drew Books

[F] Nancy Drew Grownups Discussions  / Changes to Nancy Drew  /

Popularity of Nancy Drew?

What makes Nancy Drew so popular?

Share your thoughts-- post a message below.

Previous MessagesEarliest MessagesOutlineRecent Messages More Messages (1629 previous messages)
Nanfan15 - 01:05pm Mar 2, 2009 PST(#1630 of 1651)

Right, NewFan. In comic books, one thing that DC strove for with their characters-- especially Batman and his 'family'-- was to make it so they are realistic, you can see how they really COULD be superheroes, even if they're normal people. Nancy Drew, on the same line, is not superpowered, but is doing the best she can with what she has, which makes her that much more 'real'. You can almost believe it-- minus some of the more fantastic stories. The believablility factor makes you want to tune in and see what's next, I think.

Green Hornet - 05:55pm Mar 2, 2009 PST(#1631 of 1651)
Oh, the huge manatee!

Good point, Nanfan15. I used to read DCs and liked how they expanded into the Batman and Superman "families", showing their adventures. It would be cool if they did a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys mystery that gave two or three chapters to supporting characters who had seperate adventures that were related to the central mystery.

Nanfan15 - 02:44pm Mar 3, 2009 PST(#1632 of 1651)

That would be neat. Incidentally, I write DC fanific w/ others at www.dc2universe.com if you want to check the site out.

That would definitely help... and like you point out, it wouldn't even have to be a LOT of chapters... just a couple would suffice. They would increase the depth of the stories tremendously, or could, if handled by the right writer.

Green Hornet - 05:53pm Mar 3, 2009 PST(#1633 of 1651)
Oh, the huge manatee!

I ment two or three for EACH character. Maybe Bess, George, and Ned. They have done chapters without Nancy, but it was pretty much a "meanwhile, back at the ranch..." type of break.

(OT, but) I wrote a DC/Nancy Drew cross-over and I wanted to continue it with the old-time Nancy deciding to live in the 21st century with the JLA and meeting the present Nancy Drew. The problem is, the more I thought about it, the 1940s Nancy would not like today's social attitudes, plus the fact that she would have to "prove herself" to people used to superpowers meant that she would end up SHOOTING a lot of people!

So, the series died. Alternatly, I thought about doing a "lost world" set-up where heros live so that Nancy could join the JLA, but I really want the two Nancy Drews to meet and work together.

Off-topic off

NewFan - 03:26pm Mar 4, 2009 PST(#1634 of 1651)

What a cool idea Green Hornet - The two Nancy Drews meet and work together. They could help each other solve mysteries. It reminds me of a made for TV movie(by Hallmark) called The Love Letter. In the story a guy in present time communicates with a girl in the 1860s. He writes letters and mails them after hours at a post office that has been in existence since the girl's lifetime. She gets the letters from the mailman. She would answer the letters by writing them and putting them in a secret compartment in her desk. The guy in present time now owns her desk (he bought it at an antique shop) so her letters automatically show up in the secret compartment. He reads them and writes her another letter (using the same type of paper and ink that existed in her day). Maybe you could do a story and have the two Nancy's communicating somehow through time. It would be awesome for the future Nancy to tell the original Nancy what things are like in the future!! The original Nancy could remind the future Nancy of the attitudes of the 1930s. The two Nancy's could learn from each other or even disagree and get mad (but they'd always make up)! Endless stories with that.

Green Hornet - 04:35pm Mar 4, 2009 PST(#1635 of 1651)
Oh, the huge manatee!

Thanks for the encouragement, NEWFAN.

Green Hornet - 04:44pm Mar 4, 2009 PST(#1636 of 1651)
Oh, the huge manatee!

PS: have you all taken a look at the Batgirl vs Nancy Drew poll?

Nanfan15 - 07:35pm Mar 5, 2009 PST(#1637 of 1651)

Batgirl vs. ND poll???

Green Hornet - 07:32am Mar 6, 2009 PST(#1638 of 1651)
Oh, the huge manatee!

Yes, in the Nancy Drew & You poll discussion.

cheergurl - 02:07pm Mar 18, 2009 PST(#1639 of 1651)
I love to cheer!!!!

Nancy Drew has gotten less popular over time. I dont really know anyone that is still an avid reader.

Earliest MessagesOutlineRecent MessagesMore Messages (12 following messages)

Read Subscriptions  Search  New User Registration  Login

[F] Nancy Drew Grownups Discussions  / Changes to Nancy Drew  / Popularity of Nancy Drew?